S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Why would anyone use Kaspersky?

Old 11-12-2016, 01:42 PM

Received 3,513 Likes on 2,377 Posts
Default Why would anyone use Kaspersky?

Kaspersky security software is produced in Russia. They are known to be very buddy buddy with the KGB.
OK in light the recent meddling in our elections, why would anyone open the computers to this program?

Kaspersky is whining about access to windows 10.
Kaspersky accuses Microsoft of anticompetitive bundling of antivirus software | Ars Technica

maybe microsoft should build a US version and an export version.
Old 11-12-2016, 01:45 PM

Received 4,951 Likes on 3,003 Posts

Because its on Vettle's helmet.
Old 11-12-2016, 02:12 PM

Received 1,412 Likes on 766 Posts

Well, I use it on all my PC's, with great results. Has caught several bad intrusions, so until I hear or read differently, I'll keep my subscription.
Old 11-12-2016, 02:17 PM

Received 4,951 Likes on 3,003 Posts

Right, it was always highly rated.
Old 11-12-2016, 04:07 PM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

On the subject of computers, I use Mozilla and have for years. It has a popup blocker which works about as good as an umbrella in a hurricane. Now I have ads taking up about 20% of my screen at the top of my home page. This is MY computer, I gave no one permission to place ads on it, particularly huge ones that interfere with my reading. Does anyone know of a software that works with Mozilla that will stop this crap in it's tracks? I'm really getting sick of it (can't you tell?) and it seems to be getting worse.
Old 11-12-2016, 04:34 PM

Received 2,766 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris
On the subject of computers, I use Mozilla and have for years. It has a popup blocker which works about as good as an umbrella in a hurricane. Now I have ads taking up about 20% of my screen at the top of my home page. This is MY computer, I gave no one permission to place ads on it, particularly huge ones that interfere with my reading. Does anyone know of a software that works with Mozilla that will stop this crap in it's tracks? I'm really getting sick of it (can't you tell?) and it seems to be getting worse.
My boss who thinks he knows more about computers than he does uses Kaspersky. He's telling me I have to switch to Kaspersky when my Norton subscription ends. I've had no issues with Norton, he always sees to have some kind of issue he can't figure out.

Morris, Dean, are you using Adblock plus? I've got pretty much no issue with pop ups.
https://adblockplus.org/
Old 11-12-2016, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Lainey
My boss who thinks he knows more about computers than he does uses Kaspersky. He's telling me I have to switch to Kaspersky when my Norton subscription ends. I've had no issues with Norton, he always sees to have some kind of issue he can't figure out.

Morris, Dean, are you using Adblock plus? I've got pretty much no issue with pop ups.
https://adblockplus.org/
i agree about Adblock plus. Blocks almost all ads and I have it on all my PC's.

Lainey, I have to agree with your boss. I had all kinds of performance issues with Norton, and that's why I switched to Kaspersky. It seems to run seamlessly.

Last edited by jukngene; 11-12-2016 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-12-2016, 06:30 PM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

Hmm, I just posted a response and it's not here. Trying again, pardon if it shows up twice.
Lainey I just downloaded Adblock and it is working great. Thank you, and Gene, for the suggestion. I was about to throw my computer off the balcony.
Old 11-12-2016, 06:41 PM

Received 3,513 Likes on 2,377 Posts

adblock worst well but some sites have put in detectors for it.
since they make their money off of ad money it's kind of reasonable. annoying but reasonable.
it is interesting as ISP start charging based on bandwidth use, some of the ads gets annoying since they are huge video things.

So gene, do you mind being a launch point for a russian spying?
or the fact that they have millions of US PC's queued up and ready for a Denial of service attack?
Old 11-12-2016, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by boltonblue
So gene, do you mind being a launch point for a russian spying?
or the fact that they have millions of US PC's queued up and ready for a Denial of service attack?
Well, I figure they already are in our shorts, so to speak, so I don't believe they need Kaspersky to help them. If I'm wrong, then, I'll be the first to admit it. In the meantime, for the reasons I gave Lainey, I much prefer Comrade Kaspersky's anti-virus software.

Quick Reply: Why would anyone use Kaspersky?