S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

brand new tires - cleaning residue on sidewall w WD40?

Old 12-08-2016, 12:04 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Used Tarminator on the tires last night. Ill never put dressing on them again. I love the feel and look of the clean rubber. Thanks!

as a side note, I did notice the tire sidewall hold my fingers better when I drug them across compared to before. I wonder if it would be advantageous to wipe the treads down before an autocross run or on track days to remove any road tar buildup.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:21 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

For what it's worth, I think Tarminator is a petroleum based product that most tire companies say to stay away from using on tires. Click on the care section here (it's about RV tires but should be just as applicable for passenger tires). It may not be a big deal depending on how long you keep the tires and what you do with them, but just something to keep in mind. A water based cleaner may not work as well but should be safer in the long run.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:39 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by NeutralSteer
For what it's worth, I think Tarminator is a petroleum based product that most tire companies say to stay away from using on tires. Click on the care section here (it's about RV tires but should be just as applicable for passenger tires). It may not be a big deal depending on how long you keep the tires and what you do with them, but just something to keep in mind. A water based cleaner may not work as well but should be safer in the long run.
I was wary of that as well but I saw a few posts scattered around the internet about it being used specifically on tires so hopefully that wont be the case. If i do notice something going wrong, Ill definitely post up and let people know. I got this from one of the Adams Polish forums posted by one of the Team Adams Pro's;
"...I'd actually try leather & interior cleaner - the pH of it is right for cleaning rubber pretty well. Also, the stoners tarminator does make a pretty good rubber cleaner. I've actually used it a few times recently to clean tires, but you do use it differently. Spray onto a dry tire and scrub with a microfiber towel. You'll ruin about a dozen towels doing this so use the cheap-o ones or ones you aren't planning on using for delicate surfaces anytime soon."
Old 12-08-2016, 12:48 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Afterfire
I was wary of that as well but I saw a few posts scattered around the internet about it being used specifically on tires so hopefully that wont be the case. If i do notice something going wrong, Ill definitely post up and let people know. I got this from one of the Adams Polish forums posted by one of the Team Adams Pro's;
"...I'd actually try leather & interior cleaner - the pH of it is right for cleaning rubber pretty well. Also, the stoners tarminator does make a pretty good rubber cleaner. I've actually used it a few times recently to clean tires, but you do use it differently. Spray onto a dry tire and scrub with a microfiber towel. You'll ruin about a dozen towels doing this so use the cheap-o ones or ones you aren't planning on using for delicate surfaces anytime soon."
Yeah as someone who works in the tire industry (not chemicals specifically though), I tend to be a bit conservative with messing with my tires since I know how much goes into designing them. If you're going to use it though, I think the main thing will be to look for any rotting/cracking in the tire which would indicate that the antioxidants are not doing their thing/have been all used up. It may not be super easy to tell though as the oxidation can happen from within too, hence why I stay away from the stuff. And also from my basic understanding of tire chemicals, I don't think the pH should matter as much as the type of solvent that is being used as that will be what reacts with the antioxidants and waxes. Also, leather and interior cleaner usually leaves surfaces a bit greasy, so I'd definitely stay away from something like that (less important for the sidewall area though).