S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Does The Brand of Clay Bar Matter?

Old 08-16-2016, 11:37 AM

Received 187 Likes on 161 Posts
Default Does The Brand of Clay Bar Matter?

So I've been trying to decide whether to spend more on a Meguiars clay bar kit (2 bars) or a local brand which is considerably cheaper (also 2 bars). Question is, does it REALLY matter? Who has experience with various brands of clay? Any advice appreciated
Old 08-16-2016, 01:07 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Your choices are natural vs synthetic. Plus the newest addition, a clay mitt. If I remember correctly all the natural clays are made at one plant, so there isn't much difference. The synthetics seem to hold up better vs natural clay. I would start with a fine grade clay (natural or synthetic) and a quality lube which will work well on 90% of cleaning projects. If you can source a local brand of decent quality and grade I would use it. You might ask around of local detailers for their recommendation on their product as well.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
Your choices are natural vs synthetic. Plus the newest addition, a clay mitt. If I remember correctly all the natural clays are made at one plant, so there isn't much difference. The synthetics seem to hold up better vs natural clay. I would start with a fine grade clay (natural or synthetic) and a quality lube which will work well on 90% of cleaning projects. If you can source a local brand of decent quality and grade I would use it. You might ask around of local detailers for their recommendation on their product as well.
Thanks for the advice! Now I wonder whether Meguiars or Shield (local cheaper brand) clay bars are natural... I'll try to find out. I just want to get at least one bar to give my new baby that much deserved and needed clay, polish and wax treatment asap. Her Silverstone will shine even brighter
Good idea about asking local detailers what they use. I assume it would be the cheaper brand just to save cost but the results may really be the same.

I watched an AMMO NYC video where he uses car wash as a lube. His projects turn out just fine. What do you think of this? Lube or just good quality car wash which I currently have?
Old 08-17-2016, 04:24 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Just be sure the soap has adequate lubricity (slickness) or you could damage the clear coat. So soap will work if it feels slick to the touch. AMMO NYC videos have excellent advice and has great results as you indicated. I wouldn't stress over the clay type, the fine grade is excellent for glass and even wheels (just don't use it on painted surfaces afterward) or clear plastic lenses.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd recommend the Nanoskin prep sponges and Chemical Guys Clay Luber to start out. You'll use the sponges for 99% of the times and you'll never regret not purchasing the actual clay the first time you get a little lazy and drop it on the ground. Then once you master it and get the detailing bug, maybe move up to some Iron X, a cheap DA, and DA prep pads for very fast and full decontamination.

A bar or two is nice to have around however for around emblems and in the tiny spots the sponges can't reach. I can't remember the last time I brought out my clay bar though...
Old 08-17-2016, 09:28 AM

Received 3,371 Likes on 2,450 Posts

For some odd reason I always got better results from the Mothers yellow clay kit, a couple times I used the Megs white clay it seemed to create more marring of the clear surface. I don't know if it is the type of clay or if it is a difference in the lubricant but I never had issues with the Mothers yellow clay kit and I will stick to using that in the future.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:11 AM

Received 208 Likes on 170 Posts

I found I like Clay Magic (it's a blue clay bar) or Mother's yellow clay bar. I had issues with the Meguire's white bar and found that for heavy dirt I like the other two better. If I know the surface is fairly clean already or for touchups I would use the Meguire's. I found the Meguires white clay bar was the least user friendly on heavy dirt or debris.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
Just be sure the soap has adequate lubricity (slickness) or you could damage the clear coat. So soap will work if it feels slick to the touch. AMMO NYC videos have excellent advice and has great results as you indicated. I wouldn't stress over the clay type, the fine grade is excellent for glass and even wheels (just don't use it on painted surfaces afterward) or clear plastic lenses.
Good point. I'll ensure that I use extra Meguiars gold class shampoo with water as a lubricant as I think I'll go with that cheaper brand's clay I told you about. If it does leave marring, do you think the Meguiars polishing compound would work as it says, removes swirls, scratches or marring I assume before waxing?
Old 08-18-2016, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by SamySnead
I'd recommend the Nanoskin prep sponges and Chemical Guys Clay Luber to start out. You'll use the sponges for 99% of the times and you'll never regret not purchasing the actual clay the first time you get a little lazy and drop it on the ground. Then once you master it and get the detailing bug, maybe move up to some Iron X, a cheap DA, and DA prep pads for very fast and full decontamination.

A bar or two is nice to have around however for around emblems and in the tiny spots the sponges can't reach. I can't remember the last time I brought out my clay bar though...
I think that bug had me the moment I set eyes on my S2K
Good advice mate, thanks. I think a fine or even medium clay will do what I need on my S2K as it has not been clayed in a really long time but at the same time does not look overly contaminated.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Langelo DeMysterioso
I found I like Clay Magic (it's a blue clay bar) or Mother's yellow clay bar. I had issues with the Meguire's white bar and found that for heavy dirt I like the other two better. If I know the surface is fairly clean already or for touchups I would use the Meguire's. I found the Meguires white clay bar was the least user friendly on heavy dirt or debris.
I see what you mean bout the Megs. Not sure if I can get Clay Magic here or Mothers. take a look at this local brand's clay and tell me what you think of it please (from face value I mean since you haven't tried it personally)?

http://www.takealot.com/shield-clay-...t/PLID38161321

Quick Reply: Does The Brand of Clay Bar Matter?