S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Beginner-second set of pads just for track? Dual use pads?

Old 09-28-2016, 04:33 PM

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Beginner-second set of pads just for track? Dual use pads?

I've been running Stoptech Street Performance pads on my car for about a year now and they've been perfectly adequate for daily driving and auto-cross. However, I plan on attending two track days in the near future (2 days Streets of Willow in October, Thunderhill November) and I want to 100% certain my brakes can handle both days safely. I was considering getting a fresh set of Stoptech pads before the first day at Willow Springs because they're so cheap but I'm wondering if I should upgrade to something better for the sake of safety and consistency.

So what would you guys recommend for a beginner? Should I get a second set of racier pads for these tracks days (I plan on doing more in the future as well)? Or should I pick some sort of dual use pad and just stick with it? What pads would be a good choice?
Old 09-28-2016, 05:47 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Stoptechs work on stock S2000's on up to 200TW tyres...depending on the track.

So, no...they won't work 100% for sure. They may. Or not.

Race pads and dedicated rotors will work for sure unless you're putting down lots more power, etc.

I've been using Carbotechs for the past 8? years. I swap them on for the track...and the back off for the street.

Don't forget a flush with decent fluid.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:06 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

since you are still in beginning stages, I would probably go with hawk HP+. I have stoptech street pads all around for daily driving, and have 2nd set of rotors specifically for my HP+ for track days. Plus running fresh motul rbf600 fluid. I just wouldnt daily hawk hp+ because they are pretty noise and lots of dust for street use
Old 09-29-2016, 06:55 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

I swapped out between carbotech xp8s with their own rotors and stock rotors and pads for street use.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:59 AM

Stoptech MOT is like 1300F.

HP+ is like 900F.

The HP+ does make more torque at any temp under 900F. MOT just is a description of when the pad "falls off". So...maybe at 1300F, the HP+ is still fighting to hold the same Mu as the Stoptech. Maybe not.

Stoptech doesn't provide Mu graphs like Hawk does. Hawk is a much more recognized motorsports supplier.

But...from my (and other peoples') experience...

NEITHER are track pads. They kinda sorta work on the track. Thats what they have in common.

Here are the differences:

The stoptech will work on the street. No noise. Reasonable dust. Dust washes off (not corrosive). Rotor friendly (reasonably).

The HP+ is an ideal AUTOCROSS pad. Big bite. Fairly low MOT. Works when cold. BUT...they're garbage for the street.

HP+ *can* be used on the street, obviously. Just like you *can* use a chainsaw to cut slices of cheese for hors d'oeuvers.

But let's agree that the HP+ is just not a street pad unless you are a cave person.

So...why buy a HP+ as a track pad if you already have Stoptech SP/Sport?

They work *about* as well on the track. The SP has more fade resistance. The HP+ has more bite at lower temps.

I used HP+ on my B18C ITR. I used Stoptech SP/sports on a stock S2000 and a K24 ITR.

The B18C ITR was slightly more dialed in...but still slower than the K24 ITR. A stock S2000 lands squarely between the two.

I didn't experience fade with either pad on any of those cars at Gingerman.

I will say that with the S2000's extra 300ish LB (and smaller pad footprint), even at GMR, I wouldn't confidently run either pad on the FRONT axle on anything but a 100% stock S2000.

Go buy track pads. You're only going to go faster as you learn. And you won't have to wonder if they'll work.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:04 AM

Intermediate pads like the stoptech and HP+ are a guessing game of "will it work?".

Idk how brake-demanding your intended track is.

Again...just buy track pads and dedicated rotors for track use. No need to guess. And you have room for growth.

The only issue is that you really should swap them back out...or you'll be wasting away a very expensive pad set. Race pads wear incredibly fast on the street...as well as eating rotors....as well as noise, etc.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:04 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use Project Mu HC+800 with their G-Four 335 brake fluid. They do dust quite a bit though for street use. Which ever pad you end up using, I highly suggest upgrading you brake fluid if you haven't already.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:52 AM

Mods: Ohlins DFV, 17x9 wheels with 245 Pilot Super Sports, Gernzhuast. So not stock, but fairly average as far as modded cars go.

The Willow Springs days will be on a shortened version of the Streets course-shouldn't get over 80mph. Thunderhill is gonna be on the 3 miles bypass course which I know nothing about, but it looks fast and is the track I'm more concerned about.

Leaning towards a separate set of pads and rotors. Fairly easy job on this car. I've always used ATE Type 200 for fluid and flush regularly
Old 10-11-2016, 01:10 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Actually I have found the Stop Tech pads (now called sport) surprisingly good. I torched a set of rear EBC yellow pads from one track day. I threw in the Stop tech pads as a cheap hold over until I wasted my front EBCs and picked up a new full set.

They have all the drivability of the OEM pads, but have a bit more bite, and don't fall off fast from heat. Actually I think they bite harder than the EBC yellow pads. After one track day and two track nights, they are maybe at 80%.

I am half considering using them for the front. Considering the price for a cross over pad they are a good option.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:12 PM

I'm leaning towards a set of PMU HC+800 since they're significantly cheaper than Carbotechs and have gotten good reviews from people I know. Less racy, but I'm also running 300tw tires so I think I'll be okay for the time being. Keeping the stoptechs for daily driving and casual autocross.

Quick Reply: Beginner-second set of pads just for track? Dual use pads?