S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Throttle and bad smell

Old 10-26-2016, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle and bad smell

hey guys so me and my friend recently rebuilt my 2001 ap1 motor after I had spun a bearing. We put the motor back in the car and tried to start it up. First off there is a terrible smell and the second problem is that when I press the gas to try and back the car out of the garage the car dies, so there seems to be some sort of problem with the throttle as well. We had the whole block cleaned by a machine shop and he resurfaced the head and the block. We used new bearings, we seated them properly and used engine lube to put them in. The timing is correct. We put new gas in it, and we checked to make sure we were getting spark. My first thought is that I might have mixed up some sensor somewhere. Does anyone have any input on what could be going on or has anyone experieced this. The car also smalls bad if I run it like deep fried food actually. I can post a video later of what it sounds like. The engine honestly sounds like it is drowning or something
Old 10-26-2016, 04:59 PM

Received 343 Likes on 320 Posts

Map sensor could be blocked in the TB
Search > Map Whack

Last edited by noodels; 10-26-2016 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:30 PM

Received 1,310 Likes on 990 Posts

Smell sounds like oil or grease on exhaust manifold or other areas that heat up quickly.

Do you have good oil pressure? Oil is getting to top end ok? Of you aren't certain, don't keep running it, or you could destroy it.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:04 AM

Oil is getting to top end ok and is circulating fine. We will be checking compression and oil pressure today.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:03 AM

Received 403 Likes on 338 Posts

How much did you shave off the head?
Old 10-27-2016, 11:29 AM

A very small amount, the machine shop said it was extremely close but that he was gonna shave a bit off. He has a strong s2000 background so I feel confident that he did a good job and that he didn't shave to much off
Old 10-27-2016, 11:31 AM

What if my fuel filter is bad so my car is dumping to much fuel. This would cause the flooding sound at wot and the catalytic converter would be trying to burn it all off and it would smell very bad. Any input?
Old 10-27-2016, 11:41 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Soccerpro24
What if my fuel filter is bad so my car is dumping to much fuel. This would cause the flooding sound at wot and the catalytic converter would be trying to burn it all off and it would smell very bad. Any input?
No, just no...

There is no "fuel filter" on this car, there is just a fuel sock located in the gas tank as part of the fuel pump basket. These are removable, but they typically do not need changing like a filter, its just part of the fuel pump pick up assy. Even if this was bad, it would likely starve for gas, not get too much. Even if you took it off and sucked fuel directly from the pump it wouldn't get too much fuel, because the car has a fuel regulator and ECM which determines fuel pressure and fuel amount to the injector. You need to look elsewhere.

They say there is no such thing as a bad question, but in this case, your question above indicates your level of some basic knowledge and therefore I question your ability to rebuild this motor in your garage with your buddy. I hope you did it right, but its not sounding encouraging so far. from the sounds of it, it could be any number of things wrong, with the current info provided we are just grabbing at straws at this point. All I can suggest is you double and triple check your work on the outside, since the inside of the motor is already done/sealed. I don't think there is any sensors on this engine that can be misplaced, they only go in one place and connect to the engine harness in that place. The only sensors that are duplicated if I recall are the crank and cam position sensors, and those are universal in their location so wouldn't matter if they got mixed up. Make sure you have proper fuel and spark and that's all it takes to make an engine run.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 10-27-2016 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:55 PM

First off I got that tip
from a mechanic down the road. Second I had no idea it didn't have a fuel filter, I guess thank you for your input in helping me to understand that as I haven't looked it up yet. A lot of cars do have fuel filters and if It did have one that would be a very real response the car would have if that was clogged up. I am also grasping at straws trying to figure this out but I can assure you all of my work has been double and triple checked Inside the motor at each step by not only me but several of my mechanic friends. The car sounds like it is flooding with fuel so what else would cause it to do this. I understand a motor needs fuel air and spark and I'm currently getting all three of those but it seems like I'm getting a lot more fuel then I should be getting to allow the car to run correctly. That would also explain why the catalytic converter smells bad. So what else would cause the dumping of fuel.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:02 PM

In fact in my understanding of the car it does in fact have a "fuel filter" it's just supposed to never need changed. Mainly what I was wondering is if the car sat for six months or longer if it could could have degraded or otherwise bad fuel that could have ruined this "filter"

Quick Reply: Throttle and bad smell