S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Are Millennials overly sensitive?

Old 12-06-2016, 06:31 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Are Millennials overly sensitive?

I'm sure most of us have seen the stories about Millennials that react emotionally to what most baby boomers would ignore, not even hear in the first place, or consider the ordinary insults of daily life. This seems to be prevalent enough that there are several stories about the subject from fairly mainstream sources. For example:

Student Protests: The New Millennial 'Morality'

« Generation Wuss » by Bret Easton Ellis | Vanity Fair

Of course it is a popular topic on some of the politically biased web sites:

Ralph Nader slams 'sensitive' millennials, trigger warnings, and #BlackLivesMatter - Red Alert Politics

and there is even a knew sit-com that essentially ridicules Millennials for this and other stereotypes:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b07184041176ec

Now I'm sure we all know one or more Millennials that do not fit this profile. I'm not asking you to defend your children or grandchildren here but rather report on what you have experienced with respect to this generation.

I work with many people from the Millennial generation and have my own observations, but I'm interested to hear what all of you have encountered.

Of course, your opinions about the younger generation are also welcome, but let's keep it friendly ok folks? Remember that while this is the vintage forum, many of our non-vintage friends come by to chat with us.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The denotation Millennial is a very wide net. This article give a good wide brush stroke as to why I don't feel like a Millennial.

https://socialmediaweek.org/blog/201...il-generation/

Last edited by MemphiS2k; 12-06-2016 at 08:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Legal Bill (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 08:06 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by MemphiS2k
The denotation Millennial is a very wide net. This article give a good wide brush stroke as to why I don't like a Millennial.

https://socialmediaweek.org/blog/201...il-generation/
I'm not sure that article is accurate.

I'm firmly in the millennial age group & I worshipped at the temple of Oregon Trail as a kid.
Legal Bill (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 08:17 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
I'm not sure that article is accurate.

I'm firmly in the millennial age group & I worshipped at the temple of Oregon Trail as a kid.
First, it's an opinion piece not a historical fact. I think you're missing the overall message of the article. It isn't about anyone playing Oregon Trail not being a millennial. It's more about those of us that lived a large portion of our youth before the technology tidal wave, and much of our formative years during and after.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by MemphiS2k
First, it's an opinion piece not a historical fact. I think you're missing the overall message of the article. It isn't about anyone playing Oregon Trail not being a millennial. It's more about those of us that lived a large portion of our youth before the technology tidal wave, and much of our formative years during and after.
Baby boomer title also spans a long time, 1946 vs 1965, those are two very different ranges. That said, I'm really not sure how the article is relevant to the question posed.

Millennials by & large are more outspoken with regard to speech they view as hateful/wrong, I am guilty of that myself. That said, a large portion of the baby boomers & early Gen X'ers that I've come across are sensitive in the opposite direction, speak negatively of something they view as important and they make it clear they'd prefer to be left to their own safe spaces.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:16 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

First thing that comes to mind when I hear the term Millennial..

Born in 86, so I feel like I fit between Oregon Trail gen and the Millennial gen, though I'd probably be profiled as a Millennial. Without a doubt, the Millennial generation IMO is cause of the "p*ssfication" of America. (IE overly sensitive).

Last edited by uh0h50; 12-06-2016 at 10:40 AM.
Legal Bill (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 10:06 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Memphis, Cody and uhOh, I appreciate your participation inn this discussion. It seems the three of you agree with the "overy sensitive" designation. Do you think it is fair to attribute that characteristic broadly?
Old 12-06-2016, 10:41 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Memphis, Cody and uhOh, I appreciate your participation inn this discussion. It seems the three of you agree with the "overy sensitive" designation. Do you think it is fair to attribute that characteristic broadly?
Absolutely.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
I do & do not.

I believe that the characteristic should be applied to all generations, previous generations are just less willing to see it in themselves. With each new generation the previous generation(s) wax on about the impending doom that the new generation is bringing with them. That combined with the newfound ease/speed with which ideas & 'news' spreads, things tend to get blown out of water VERY quickly.

Most millennials are not demanding safe spaces, asking for 'white-free zones,' etc. But that's what gets views because it is what confirms the narrative. That said, my generation is more likely to speak against sexism, racism, etc., as we've been brought up in a world where that is less 'okay' than ever before (in the US); which combined with the media propagating the idea of safe spaces, trigger warnings, and others makes us look to be endlessly moaning.

But look at the complaints surrounding flag burning, kneeling during the national anthem, protesting Trump, etc., by those in older generations, all of these things are protected by the Constitution as free speech, all of them have occurred many times in the past but people feel a need to complain. That's other generations being overly sensitive when they feel they are being wronged, disrespected, etc.

That said, I'd rather be disregarded as hypersensitive than standby as institutional racism, sexism and policies that negatively impact my generation more than any other continue to persist.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:37 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
I do & do not.

But look at the complaints surrounding flag burning, kneeling during the national anthem, protesting Trump, etc., by those in older generations, all of these things are protected by the Constitution as free speech, all of them have occurred many times in the past but people feel a need to complain. That's other generations being overly sensitive when they feel they are being wronged, disrespected, etc.

That said, I'd rather be disregarded as hypersensitive than standby as institutional racism, sexism and policies that negatively impact my generation more than any other continue to persist.

Quick Reply: Are Millennials overly sensitive?