S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Seized valve adjustment screw&valve clearance keeps tightening fast

Old 01-15-2017, 01:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seized valve adjustment screw&valve clearance keeps tightening fast

for some reason both intake valves on cyl. 1 will not stay to spec. I'll drive the car a few hundred miles and the car will start to misfire again and I find out that both intake valves on cyl. 1 are so tight you can't move the rocker arms. Well last time I went to go adjust the valves back to spec, I discovered that one of the valve adjustment screws is seized. I decided to buy two new adjustment screws to replace both the ones on cyl. 1 intake side to see if that may be why they won't stay where I adjust them but I'm scared to risk damaging the threads in the rocker arm since one is totally seized and one I can spin but then gets stuck once I start to spin it out about halfways. Would I be better off trying to get the screws out, or just replacing the rocker arm assembly?? I already have the cams removed so far
Old 01-15-2017, 02:51 PM

Received 344 Likes on 321 Posts

Thread out of the bottom.
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...stment-959072/
Old 01-15-2017, 03:41 PM
Banned

I'm unscrewing them through the bottom but one is seized and the other gets stuck half ways out
Old 01-15-2017, 03:45 PM

Received 344 Likes on 321 Posts

Rocker"s prob Fcuked then !!
Old 01-15-2017, 04:57 PM
Banned

I got the one that was just difficult to remove out and put a different adjuster screw in and it went in with no problems so the rocker might actually be ok. I'm just not sure how the heck to get the seized screw out now
Old 01-16-2017, 05:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Try to run a die over the exposed threads, can you move the adjustment screw at all now?
Old 01-17-2017, 09:27 AM
Banned

We got the screw out by filing down the bottom end of the screw and unthreading out the way it normally wouldn't because it would get stuck the other way and put a new adjustment screw and locknut with no problems so the arm is good, but i'm afraid i'm facing a worse problem now ☹️ I reassembled the rockers and cams and set timing to what i believe is correct and now even with the adjustment screw set to give as much clearance as possible, the rocker arm barely wiggles at all and i cannot properly set valve lash but i can fit the .10 feeler gauge through easily. It's very hard to tell but i think the arm may be hitting the valve seat. I removed the cams and rocker assembly again and placed a flat skinny metal rod over the valves and that valve pushes the rod higher than all the other ones by what seems like a few millimeters. So it looks like the spring and retainer sit higher than all the others around it. I just had all 16 valves, valve guides and stem seals replaced not long ago and after getting the car back i did feel the valvetrain was a little loud but everyone i asked thought it wasn't anything abnormal.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:51 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Hmmm. The plot thickens.

Your saying that the top of the valve stem for this one valve sits slightly higher than the top of the other valve stems? Or is it the retainer that is higher than the others? I'm not crystal clear.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:18 AM
Banned

Well i put it over the stems yesterday when i checked, but to my eye it does look like the retainer may be slightly angled up a little bit towards where the arm would hit
Old 01-17-2017, 11:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

valve seats might be toast/valve is moving up slowly... try a leak down test

Quick Reply: Seized valve adjustment screw&valve clearance keeps tightening fast