S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Refinish Volk ce28 wheels - options?

Old 02-04-2017, 06:13 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts
Default Refinish Volk ce28 wheels - options?

I was not sure where to put this on the forum but here goes. I've spoken with a few of you already via PM but I think a thread might be helpful to others and it sure will help me out.

I just bought some used ce28s that are on the way to me and need to be refinished. They have previously been refinished once. I am buying off an s2ki member and you can see the for sale thread elsewhere on the forum. My ap1 is sebring silver. If possible I would like to refinish these in Mercury Silver but if that is not possible I would also consider Ti Silver. I wonder if you all might share any insight you have about how to go about this. I want to have a clear idea what I want the shop to do before I go and have my conversation with them.

I'm aware of prior discussions/debates about whether it is safe to powder coat these wheels and I would prefer to avoid that debate here. I just want to sort out all the options that exist, the quality of the likely outcomes, and then I'll make a decision what to do.

Is it possible to get an exact or close match to mercury silver? How best to do that? Paint? Powdercoat? Other?

Is it possible to get an exact or close match to ti silver? How best to do that?

Also, what are the options re center caps with refinishing? I have the original center caps - but I'm considering flat center caps in a matching color if that is possible with the refinish.

Lastly, is there a way to purchase replacement volk stickers?

Thanks for any help you all can give.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:55 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

NenGun for cheap, authentic flat caps.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

aweome thread...i hope you get some answers...i bought a used set ce28RTs in black but I prefer bronze...i havent been able to find anything on a paint that may be close to the anodized bronze volk uses...if anyone has a close match please let me know

also, prismatic powders has a huge selection of powders...i sent them an email and they sent me a bunch of sample bronzes...the bronzes looked very different in person than they did online, maybe you should ask for a bunch of their silver samples and try to see if you could get close
Old 02-20-2017, 03:53 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

The problem is that you generally can't see an example of a wheel powder coated in a color and finish designed to match OEM Rays/Volks colors live and in person. Also, if you buy a set of used Volks that has already been refinished once you can't even see the OEM color live and in person. So, you have to rely on pictures on the internet which vary tremendously based on the camera, lighting and computer monitor. Or, you can get little swatches from the powder coat paint manufacturers - or some shops will shoot a small piece in the color you choose. All of these methods leave you unsure about the final appearance of the wheels. It is an expensive mistake if you find they don't come out the way you imagined.

It would be extremely helpful if other Volk owners who have refinished their wheels would post pictures and provide the details about how they were refinished, exactly what powder or paint colors were used, how it was applied, and, if they were trying to match an oem color, whether the effort was successful. There is some of this sort of thing scattered around on this forum and elsewhere on the interwebs. But, it is hard to track down and it is hit and miss as far as detail.

Personally I am looking to match one of the oem silver or ti finishes. I have seen some efforts to match Titanium Silver on the internet - one here https://www.s2ki.com/forums/wheels-t.../#post23003734 . I continue to search. But, I may end up trying to find the indicated Bengal Silver powder somewhere and then top coat it with either a gloss or a mat type clear coat. Frankly, I would prefer to match the oem Mercury Silver color but I can't find much about a way to do that so it would involve a lot of guesswork. I did also come across this review on Yelp with some pictures of what looks to be a very nice finish that I like on a set of Volk ce28s. There is not enough detail provided to replicate it but I am going to try to track it down. https://www.yelp.com/biz/nu-tec-powder-coating-anaheim?hrid=1sa_lHNghRJ-srzlS7nVyA&utm_campaign=Feb-20-2017&utm_medium=email&utm_source=email_share.

I did see one reference to a possible good match for the oem bronze color and I'll try to find that again and post it. I have no personal experience with the Bronze color and it is not my particular interest but I understand from my research that it is difficult to match, maybe impossible.

Since I am refinishing all four wheels, precise color matching is not critical. I just want to be sure I am going to be happy with the finish before I plunk down what will likely be somewhere between $500 and $600.

Last edited by rpg51; 02-20-2017 at 04:24 AM.