S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

OEM Lug nuts become loose

Old 02-20-2017, 09:02 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default OEM Lug nuts become loose

Hi guys,

I bought a used set of OEM lugs from a member here, put the ap2v3 wheels on and went for a long ride (100 miles) yesterday. When I came back, I found almost all lugs were loose a little bit. Before the drive I torqued them correctly to 82 ft-lb and now it felt like 70~80. I re-torqued each lug some extra 45 degrees of a circle to reach pre-set 82 ft-lb.

This scared the crap out of me because, last year I found really loose lugs on these stock wheels after maybe 500 miles and I even lost one of them! I thought it was due to non-OEM lugs seat patterns so I bought OEM ones recently. But this just happened again.

Does it mean that my studs are bad, the hub has problem, or anything else? But, I drove my car this whole winter with aftermarket wheels and lugs from TireRack and everything worked so well that every single lug was as tight as I torqued..

Thank you!
Old 02-20-2017, 09:40 AM

I wonder if any of that has to do with heat expansion or...something. It's supposedly best practice to put some miles on the car and then re-torque wheels after tire rotation/wheel installation. That said, part of that is probably shops minimizing their liability, and it's not something I've ever done.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:23 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Pretty sure spec is 80 (not 82) lb-ft. But doubt most torque wrenches not certified for nuclear weapons assembly can tell the difference.

Not sure I'd trust "used OEM lug nuts" nor why I'd buy them used. Honda seems to use the same lug nut on all their cars with alloy wheels so there's nothing special about S2000 nuts. I know this is not happening on my car. I replaced the horrible black aftermarket wheels that came on the car in 2014 with a set of OEM wheels. And OEM lug nuts. New ones. Torque to 70. Come back and torque to 80.

Over-tightened lug nuts can strain them. You're well beyond stretching the studs but that happens too. (New trailers are very susceptible to this stud stretching and the lack of shock absorbers doesn't help. They take frequent tightening until they stop moving.)

-- Chuck

Last edited by Chuck S; 02-20-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:38 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Using non oem lug nuts with 60 degree tapered seat on stock wheels will damage them, this might be the reason your "new" oem nuts are getting loose.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Pretty sure spec is 80 (not 82) lb-ft. But doubt most torque wrenches not certified for nuclear weapons assembly can tell the difference.

Not sure I'd trust "used OEM lug nuts" nor why I'd buy them used. Honda seems to use the same lug nut on all their cars with alloy wheels so there's nothing special about S2000 nuts. I know this is not happening on my car. I replaced the horrible black aftermarket wheels that came on the car in 2014 with a set of OEM wheels. And OEM lug nuts. New ones. Torque to 70. Come back and torque to 80.

Over-tightened lug nuts can strain them. You're well beyond stretching the studs but that happens too. (New trailers are very susceptible to this stud stretching and the lack of shock absorbers doesn't help. They take frequent tightening until they stop moving.)

-- Chuck
I buy used OEM lugs because Honda dealership charges 11 bucks for a single one..
Old 02-20-2017, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by flanders
Using non oem lug nuts with 60 degree tapered seat on stock wheels will damage them, this might be the reason your "new" oem nuts are getting loose.
Yea I have that concern too.. Should I just inspect the stock wheels? I feel like it's hard to tell and I can't do anything to the 'damaged' wheels if the bolt holes are pushed out of shape.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by climhazzard
I wonder if any of that has to do with heat expansion or...something. It's supposedly best practice to put some miles on the car and then re-torque wheels after tire rotation/wheel installation. That said, part of that is probably shops minimizing their liability, and it's not something I've ever done.
I'll definitely check it again soon. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 02-20-2017, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S

-- Chuck
Oh and.. I torqued them a bit more to 82 cuz I got this issue before, and I knew too much torque would strip the threads so I did it to 82... lol
Old 02-20-2017, 12:41 PM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Check the lug nut seats on your wheels and make sure the nuts you are using are ball type/radius type.
Not sure there is much to do if they are damaged, just keep checking them regularly or try to have them fixed.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:49 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

I would take a real close look at the lug nut seats in those wheels to see if they have been damaged. If you pull a wheel off and then fit a lug nut to the seat you should be able to tell if it is ok or distorted. If you have any doubt after doing that don't mess around - get them checked out by a competent wheel shop.

Were you using tapered lugs intended for after market alloy wheels on the oem wheels in the past?

Last edited by rpg51; 02-20-2017 at 12:52 PM.

Quick Reply: OEM Lug nuts become loose