S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

external wear spots on two-year-old cloth top

Old 03-27-2017, 11:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default external wear spots on two-year-old cloth top

I had my original (2006) vinyl top, which had some wear spots and sagging elastic straps, replaced two years ago with a cloth top by a local shop with a longstanding strong reputation. The top has been great except that symmetrical pairs of wear spots have appeared on the seams toward the front. On the passenger side, they have begun to wear through the fabric. The tech said he has not seen this before on an S2000, and these are not the same as the tears people have posted a lot about. I can't be completely certain, but I also don't think they're the same as the problem addressed by the 2009 TSB on the OEM tops. The shop is talking with the mfr about a replacement, but meanwhile we need to figure out what is going on, as we can't ask them to replace a $1,700 top every two years (it ought to last 8-10). I've included pictures below. I hope someone can give us some insight. Thanks.
Passenger side--these have actually begun to wear through the fabric.
Driver's side--here, they are just rub spots so far.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:23 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Do those 2 spots meet each other when the top is down?
Levi
Old 03-27-2017, 11:43 AM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

^^
I'm thinking the wear is happening when the top is down. I'd see if there's something pinching it once dropped if you can. Both spots are probably contacting each other when folded.
The following users liked this post:
phillipfrankreid (03-28-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 02:46 PM
TBK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, please let me know if you figure out what's causing your issue. The Honda dealer I bought the car from installed a new top just before I picked it up as the original top had the tears in the back corner. I can't really work with them as they're three hours away from me.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:51 PM
TBK

I should have and meant to say that the top is only 13 months old.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:14 PM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

It does look like the wear points are in contact with each other and the wear occurs when folded. I wonder if it is indeed folding correctly; are the elastic straps doing their job? You may need new ones (Modifry) as the replacement top ones may not be up to the task at hand. You may want to double check the installation even if it was a top rated shop.
Take a look with the top down to see how high up the top rides. You should be able to just see the "horns" of the top on either side. You don't say if you use the tonneau top cover. If you do does it fit and go on without a hassle?
Old 03-27-2017, 06:03 PM
TBK

In my case, I'm going to ask for everyone else's advice. I don't have another S2000 owner around to compare against. I am fairly sure the straps were replaced with the top. They're quite taught during the last half of the closing/first half of the opening process, and very tight when the top is closed. As in they'll "pop" if you pull them and let go. Not original I think....

Here's a picture with the top down. Sorry, I couldn't get any further back without opening the garage door and it's raining out.... Looks OK to me, or no?

Old 03-27-2017, 09:32 PM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

I've had a cloth (TwillFast, not StayFast) top for four years now and there is some compression of the surface fibers in the same areas where the loops lay upon each other but no wear to the fabric like yours.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:15 AM

That is a simple but smart question--I will use some tape to test that. Thanks. (I'm going to guess that they do.)
Old 03-28-2017, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by NNY S2k
Do those 2 spots meet each other when the top is down?
Levi
That is a simple but smart question--I will use some tape to test it. Thanks.

Quick Reply: external wear spots on two-year-old cloth top