Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Mazda RX-8 and S2000 Side by Side Pics

Old 07-27-2003, 10:08 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mazda RX-8 and S2000 Side by Side Pics

MyBad and I were hanging out in Wilmington yesterday. The Coast Guard "Eagle" landed in Wilmington's gorgeous downtown riverfront and it was a feast for the eyes. After looking at this beast, we decided to take a cruise on the streets of Wilmington and check out if the local Mazda dealer had an RX-8.

When we arrived, I was surprised to find an RX-8 on display, OUTSIDE! Taking full advantage of this opportunity, I asked MyBad to park beside for comparison pics. Here they are:

And the greatest pic was where some folks pulled up wanting to look at the RX-8 for themselves and saw me taking pictures like a mad man. They were instantly attracted to MyBad's S2000. He, of course, let them take a closer look.

MyBad and I spent a bit of time looking at the RX-8. We commented on the "many" lines of the car and the engineer's desire to keep the design simple turned into the use of many, many conflicting design lines. The rotary shape is cool, but it becomes (what MyBad described as a "fungus") infecting the seats, shifter, hood, lights, nearly everything has the rotary shape. We realized that this was exactly Mazda's planned execution, but it was a bit much, in our opinion.

I especially liked the rotors of the RX-8. They are painted a similar color to the rims and even the heat shields are painted silver. A nice touch for sure. Also, the rotors are quite thick. The rims are nice, but the addition of "dimples" confused us. They complicated the design of the wheel and will cause heartache to the owner when cleaning becomes the task of the day. You will need to use a Q-tip or similar to clean these dimpled holes.

Overall, not a bad package. I was surprised that the RX-8 did not motivate me into an automotive frenzy. I liked it, it was not boring, but it is very "SEDAN-LIKE" in it's apperance. Simply not airgate.
Old 07-27-2003, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thumb up
Old 07-27-2003, 11:10 AM

Actually it did remind me of airgate...when he's constipated.

While there are many attractive things about the RX8, the S2k has a much more refined styling. It's body lines are sleek and agressive. The overall body design is a wholistic and comprehensive. The RX8 is more like a collection of disparant parts, bulging wheel wells, hacked fenders, dimpled roof with a sunroof whose shape looks like it overheated and melted on the corners. Very disturding.

Honda should take notes on the RSX rotor /caliper designs though.
Old 07-27-2003, 11:20 AM

We may pay more than anyone in the country for new cars out here in CA, but at least dealers don't put their own stickers/badges/free publicity decals on our rides!

I haven't seen any of the production RX-8s, but they look a lot like a prototype I saw a few years back. I'd definitely take one of these Mazdas over a Camry, Accord or TSX.
Old 07-27-2003, 11:24 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

our dealership has now had the same grey RX8 in front of their dealership for 4-5 days straight.... no sale... it is the very first one they got in also!!!!!! They say it is going to be sold for sticker... $33k+ with Nav
Old 07-27-2003, 11:45 AM

I don't like the RX-8. The more I see it, the more I say what an ugly car.

Chris C.
Old 07-27-2003, 12:02 PM

They look similar from the front.
Old 07-27-2003, 12:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Those suicide rear door look butt ugly IMO.
Old 07-27-2003, 12:15 PM

what?! no pics of the rears!?
you missed the opportunity to prove once again that
rx- 8 is s2000 rip off!
Old 07-27-2003, 12:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The S looks so much better. I'm not being biased either becasue I don't own an S. I just think the RX-8 is funky looking.

Quick Reply: Mazda RX-8 and S2000 Side by Side Pics