Texas - Central Texas S2000 Owners Central Texas S2000 Owners

Hydrogen Based Rotary Engine

Old 10-12-2001, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydrogen Based Rotary Engine

I came across this article at one of my car related forums and thought that I'd pass it on here. I have always been intrigued by "alternative" technologies where they relate to artificial locomotion.

Though you guys might be interested, it is quite long.
Old 10-12-2001, 12:20 PM

Love the article. The only thing I don't get is how can you compress the gas if you don't have a stationary chamber?

According to the article:
At the engine's center, a "wobble plate" envelops a metal sphere much as Saturn's ring encircles the planet. The plate is designed to wobble, or nutate, around the sphere between two inverted cones at each end of an attached driveshaft. As the plate nutates, it alternately opens and closes two firing chambers filled with a combustible gas mixture. Glow plugs in the chambers fire the engine twice through each revolution -- the first triggering the plate to nutate in one direction, turning the shaft 180 degrees, and the second, in the opposing chamber, causing the plate to return to its original position, completing the 360-degree rotation.
Let's say the wobble plate is tilted 45 degrees on axis to the drive shaft which runs through the center of the two cones pointed at each other. The enire assembly is surrounded in a sphere, right? The compression chamber seems to be fixed at the center of the glow plugs...and if you fire the plugs, won't they "push" against each side of the wobble plate with the same force? It's rotating around the cones, sealing each side and the edge with the sphere...so, the wobble plate makes up two sides of the compression chamber and the enclosing shpere is the 3rd side (although large, still only one side). Don't see how youa re going to get any polar momentum...any rotation.

I'm know engineer but it seems awkward.

Mark
Old 10-12-2001, 12:56 PM

Mark,

The motor fires twice each revolution. The first firing causes the wobble plate to nutate, or oscillate, which turns the shaft 180 degrees. The second firing, in the opposing chamber, causes the wobble plate to nutate back to its original position, thus completing the rotation of the shaft and ball assembly a full 360 degrees.

Check out the amination....

Old 10-13-2001, 01:53 PM

Awsome article.

Where did you get the animation. I didn't see that in the original article link. Anyway thanks for the post.