Site Info Open forum for the discussion of the S2K International site and organization. If you like what we're doing, post it here. If you don't, post it here too. Get answers to site related questions.

The New S2KI - Bugs & Feedback Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 02:58 PM
IB Staff

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts
Default The New S2KI - Bugs & Feedback Thread

Welcome to the new vBulletin version of S2KI! In case you missed our announcement, we've made the jump from IPBoard software to vBulletin and with it comes a host of new features. I've quoted the announcement below for a full breakdown, but we'd like to use this thread as a central place for all feedback you may have. Notice a bug? This is the place to post it, and we'll do our best to resolve issues as quickly as possible.

Note: If you'd like to discuss the old community status updates feature, we're collecting feedback in this thread. Please post any status update comments over there. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Announcement: "Welcome to the New S2KI!"
Welcome to the all-new S2KI! We've made the jump from IPBoard to vBulletin, and with it comes a refreshed look and a number of new features. But don't worry, what you know and love about S2KI all made the move - every account, every post, every photo. Let's break it all down:

What's New

Improved Mobile Experience - S2KI on your smartphone's web browser is an entirely new experience. The layout has been modernized to include little things like members' avatars for the first time, and major things like infinite scroll. Now when you're in a thread on mobile, you never need to hit "next page." As you scroll, the next pages of the thread will automatically load. Or if you prefer a more native experience complete with push notifications to your phone, S2KI is now fully supported in our Garage Talk app (download it now on the iOS App Store or Google Play).

User Tagging - Now you can publicly tag someone in your post, and they'll receive a Private Message with a link to your message. To tag someone, simply use the new BBCode [utag=NAME ]NAME[/utag ] (with no spaces) and the forum will handle everything else automatically.

Thread Subscriptions - Your Watched Topics are now called Thread Subscriptions, and you have more control over them than ever before. By visiting the Edit Subscriptions page in your User CP, you can now set the frequency of your subscription alerts and organize them into custom folders.

Thank You Button - If you appreciate someone's post, you can now "Thank" it. It's like a "Like" button, but with one difference: we'll also show how many thanks each of you have received and given.

Social Medial Embeds - YouTube videos, Facebook posts, tweets, Instagram photos, Google Maps... maps - all of these and more will now automatically embed in your posts. Just paste a link to any of them and the forum will do the rest.

What's Next

Community Status Updates - While we moved as much of S2KI to vBulletin as we could, one feature we unfortunately had to deprecate is the Community Status Updates section. vBulletin does not offer a direct equivalent, but we want to hear from you on how you'd like to see it replicated. Please join us in a discussion of new status update ideas in this thread.

Your Feedback - We plan to make continuous nips, tucks, and tweaks based on your feedback. Whether you found a bug report or wish to suggest an improvement, please don't hesitate to share your feedback in this thread.

Your Premium Membership - We have new items on the way for both our Members and Gold Members! If you're an existing premium member, please note that we have disabled your previous automatic membership renewal in PayPal. Your existing premium membership is unaffected, but when it's time to renew, please do so manually by visiting our Premium Membership page. This is to ensure that PayPal correctly communicates with our new software.

More to Come! - All of this is just the beginning of our S2KI revamp. Along with the new membership itesm mention above, you'll see further site features like an enhanced gallery and photo uploader. Stay tuned!

Trouble Logging In? Some passwords with special characters (i.e. ! $ & < > " \ ') may need to be reset in order to properly work with our new forum software. If you've received an error message when trying to login, please visit our Password Recovery form to regain access to your account. You can continue to use the same password, you just need to re-establish it. Our apologies for the inconvenience.
The following 7 users liked this post by IB Jason:
AquilaEagle (10-26-2016), BocaBchBum (11-18-2016), calvinnnnn (10-28-2016), hydro606 (11-07-2016), SiDHEaD (11-13-2016), tdb0777 (02-14-2017), WhrDLMI (10-27-2016) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-25-2016, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First. ......................
Old 10-25-2016, 03:24 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

The sort order of threads is bizarre. I would imagine that will be everyone's number one complaint, among many, many other things..
Old 10-25-2016, 03:31 PM

Received 2,585 Likes on 1,566 Posts

I'm seeing some avatars displayed, but not others, including mine, which is a photo. I see my avatar when I go to Edit Avatar.

Last edited by MsPerky; 10-25-2016 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:43 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

So far I see:

-topics are in reverse order. (NO. JUST NO)
-most avatars not displayed in topic view
-can't reply to PMs
-no topic descriptions in topic list view (pretty widely used feature before)
-smilies popup is massive in post editor popup
-mobile site is somehow worse than before (mobile site is completely unnecessary if a responsive theme is used..)

I am sure I will find more.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:03 PM
IB Staff

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Thanks for the fast feedback, everyone! Here's where each issue you've mentioned currently stands:
  • The sort order of threads is being looked at right now. In the interim, you can manually fix this bug by going to your User CP, selecting "Edit Options" in the left-hand menu, and then changing your Thread Display Mode setting from "Linear - Newest First" to "Linear - Oldest First".
  • All avatars should now be displaying correctly. If yours is still missing, please let me know.
  • The ability to reply to PMs should be working now. If you still encounter an error, please paste the error message in this thread and we'll investigate further.
  • We're working to shrink the smiley box.
Originally Posted by andrewhake
-mobile site is somehow worse than before (mobile site is completely unnecessary if a responsive theme is used..)
Can you please elaborate on which aspects of you mobile site you dislike?

Thanks!
Old 10-25-2016, 04:14 PM

Received 158 Likes on 121 Posts

This is actually terrible.

1. Interface is less user friendly.
2. The forum looks ancient now, the old version was modern.
3. No status updates which were honestly fun to read.
4. Mobile site is TERRIBLE. Old version was MUCH easier to use.

You should add an option to toggle between the old forum and this one.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IB Jason
Can you please elaborate on which aspects of you mobile site you dislike?

Thanks!
I can tell you which part of it bugs me. The old mobile site had all first level forums listed below the main category. I shouldn't need to drill down to find the list of forums in each main category, it was much easier to jump around to where I wanted to go from the old mobile site. Also, the endless scrolling pages is interesting, but I'm not sold on it yet. Navigation can get confusing as there are no clear indicators that you've moved to another page.

As for the regular version I've noticed that people's avatars aren't resized to a standard dimension. I was browsing some threads that had people's avatar take up the entire screen since it's a full size picture that wasn't being constrained.

Example:
The New S2KI - Bugs &amp; Feedback Thread-8qputds.jpg
Old 10-25-2016, 04:31 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

plus one to avatar not functioning. not that my avatar worked ever with the old system
Old 10-25-2016, 04:32 PM
JHo

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

As a CO who moderates a local for sale forum how do I easily spot a member vs non-member? Before it was under the users avatar.

Quick Reply: The New S2KI - Bugs & Feedback Thread