South Florida Owners from South Florida

Insurance

Old 07-07-2016, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance

Hey guys,

Had an interesting thing happen with insurance recently.

My wife and I just welcomed our baby boy to the world in Jan this year. In preparation, we decided a larger family car was required (I drive the S, my wife drove a mini). We negotiated a great deal for a GLK, but instead of turning the mini in (07 99k miles), I decided to hold onto it as my daily driver. Before making these changes, my wife and I were paying $200 a month for insurance, full coverage, $500 ded, collision, etc. After buying the GLK, and adding the 3rd car to our plan, insurance shot up to $350 per month. I decided to roll with it for a few to see how often I actually used the mini. I hated driving it, ended up not using it much, and decided after about 2 months to get rid of it. After I removed the mini from our insurance, our payment dropped back to $200 per month. I inquired with our broker and she claimed that insurance is cheaper when the number of cars matches the number of drivers in the house-hold.

Fast forward to today - Baby is getting more independent, doesnt always need mom, but when she is away, im stuck at home. I want to get a 3rd car again, but this insurance thing is kind of a pain in the ass. That feeling of being ripped off.

For those of you that run a daily, was this the same case for you when adding the 3rd or 2nd car to your plan? Is it time for me to find a new broker/provider?

I appreciate the responses in advance. Thanks!
Old 07-07-2016, 01:09 PM
Site Moderator

Received 2,601 Likes on 1,909 Posts

I don't live in Florida (Michigan actually) but I've never heard of insurance charging more based on how many drivers, you can only drive one at a time.

FTR, I have 5 cars on my personal policy and pay for the cars, not the drivers. I'd check another ins company.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:01 AM

Not sure I understand this correctly but naturally if you add another car your rate will go up since you are insuring 3 cars instead of 2.

Check your coverage plan and see the details. Maybe there is something you can lower or drop.

For what it's worth between all the theft, insurance scams and horrible drivers in South Florida... I only saved 40 bucks when I moved down from NY. I had a car in the Tampa area at one point and was only paying a third of the price compared to NY. There are many things that factor in with insurance cost. Where you live, your marital status, the type of car.... etc. I say shop around and get quotes.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by sam_spider
I don't live in Florida (Michigan actually) but I've never heard of insurance charging more based on how many drivers, you can only drive one at a time.

FTR, I have 5 cars on my personal policy and pay for the cars, not the drivers. I'd check another ins company.
Thanks for the reply. Going to check and see what I can do. will report back.

Originally Posted by 2ks2knyc
Not sure I understand this correctly but naturally if you add another car your rate will go up since you are insuring 3 cars instead of 2.

Check your coverage plan and see the details. Maybe there is something you can lower or drop.

For what it's worth between all the theft, insurance scams and horrible drivers in South Florida... I only saved 40 bucks when I moved down from NY. I had a car in the Tampa area at one point and was only paying a third of the price compared to NY. There are many things that factor in with insurance cost. Where you live, your marital status, the type of car.... etc. I say shop around and get quotes.
Basically this

Had a mini and a s2k paying $200 per month for insurance
Leased a GLK, added it to our insurance plan, raising our monthly rate to $350
Decided to get rid of the mini, payment went back down to $200 per month
Broker claimed rate increased due to the fact that there were 3 cars and only 2 drivers

Definitely going to be shopping around. Need to find an affordable DD to start getting quotes. Was mostly curious to see if any other members had the same experience. Rate nearly doubled for adding a 3rd car.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by jauld
Basically this

Had a mini and a s2k paying $200 per month for insurance
Leased a GLK, added it to our insurance plan, raising our monthly rate to $350
Decided to get rid of the mini, payment went back down to $200 per month
Broker claimed rate increased due to the fact that there were 3 cars and only 2 drivers

Definitely going to be shopping around. Need to find an affordable DD to start getting quotes. Was mostly curious to see if any other members had the same experience. Rate nearly doubled for adding a 3rd car.
That does seem fishy. I say get quotes using the mini's details to see if your current brokers story matches. It could be BS.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:44 PM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

Auto insurance is regulated by state insurance boards and state laws (rates differ between companies but certain requirements are regulated). At one time I was single with 3 cars and had to pay liability and collision for all 3 even though I could only drive one at a time. I understand collision insurance being on the car as someone can hit it even when no one is driving.

In Ohio at that time (and maybe now) the liability is attached to the car, not the driver. Covers anyone driving the car. When I complained to USAA that I could only drive one car at a time they agreed and told me to lobby the Ohio legislature. Other states may have different schemes.

You may be able to purchase a personal liability policy and minimize the liability coverage on the car(s).

-- Chuck
Old 07-25-2016, 06:00 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If you have a third car that you don't drive much, always make sure you let the insurance company know how many miles you plan on putting on it. That will reduce you monthly bill.. Just a quick tip