Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Brake Booster Recall

Old 09-22-2016, 07:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brake Booster Recall

My S2000 is listed for brake-booster recall. While I've never experienced the problem, it really bothers me to have an outstanding recall on Carproof and on the Honda recall site.

My mechanic has followed the directions on the Honda TSB, and we've confirmed that my car is free from the brake-booster vacuum leakage problem, so I just want to head to any Honda dealership to get the recall status dropped after the dealership technicians confirm that my car is indeed ok.

I have been communicating with Richmond Hill Honda for the past 2 days, and they said they have touched base with US Honda with regards to the recall. They kindly scheduled me in this morning, just to tell me that they are missing recall documents from US Honda upon arrival. They told me to call US Honda to obtain those whatever documents that they need without really specifying exactly what 'recall documents' they're really looking for.

So I called US Honda, and they said they don't know what documents Richmond Hill Honda is looking for as well. Spent around 45 mins talking to US Honda, getting transferred from one customer rep to another just to get the best response ever - 'All Honda dealerships will warrant the recall disregarding where your car originated from'.

At first I thought this will be a straight-forward process, but I guess I'll turn to the forum for answers:
For owners of US imported S2000, how did you get the recall done at an Ontario dealership?
Did you obtain any 'recall documents' or did they just do it for you?
Which Honda dealership did you do it in?
Old 09-22-2016, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Richmond hill Honda gave me the same runaround, so I tried Maple Honda. It took a few days to get an appointment and paperwork, but they took care of it all for me. Mine didn't have any issues from their diagnosis, so it was pretty quick. I'd call them and see what they can do for you.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pardon my ignorance but is there a thread with the official recall details?

I have a 2004 and not sure if this recall affects it.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by husseinj3
Richmond hill Honda gave me the same runaround, so I tried Maple Honda. It took a few days to get an appointment and paperwork, but they took care of it all for me. Mine didn't have any issues from their diagnosis, so it was pretty quick. I'd call them and see what they can do for you.
Thanks for the heads up Hussein, I'll probably give Maple Honda a call if RH Honda doesn't call me back by tomorrow which they said they'll follow up within 1 business day
I know a guy whom also got rejected by several dealerships for the recall and he ended up buying a used brake booster assembly from a wrecked s2000 and had it installed by his mechanic

Anyways, I hope I end up like you where I can just get this whole recall issue over with after a simple diagnosis
Imagine someone with a recall gets into an accident and insurance company somehow figures out that you have an outstanding recall on the car..

Originally Posted by LemonJus
Pardon my ignorance but is there a thread with the official recall details?

I have a 2004 and not sure if this recall affects it.
AP2v1 and AP2v3 aren't affected by the recall, so no worries
Here's some info on it:
http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2006...e-problem.html
https://www.s2ki.com/home/2013/08/18...rake-boosters/
Old 09-22-2016, 08:48 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Only applies to a few 2006 - 2007 cars. I bought my 2006 from a Honda dealer in 2014 and they did the recall before selling me the car. I think that's part of the Honda franchise agreement that all recalls have to be applied before sale of used cars.

Try:

(The link downloads a PDF on my PC using Firefox.)

https://www.google.c...UXv5mUg&cad=rja

-- Chuck
Old 09-22-2016, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Only applies to a few 2006 - 2007 cars. I bought my 2006 from a Honda dealer in 2014 and they did the recall before selling me the car. I think that's part of the Honda franchise agreement that all recalls have to be applied before sale of used cars.

Try:

(The link downloads a PDF on my PC using Firefox.)

https://www.google.c...UXv5mUg&cad=rja

-- Chuck
I actually have this TSB on me when I first visited RH Honda 2 days ago
Showed it to them, they said they would need to verify with US Honda
And then everything else happened just like my first post
Old 09-22-2016, 12:11 PM

Since these cars were made in Japan I'm not sure why honda.ca is having difficulty here. But if your car doesn't need the fix don't worry about it. Or next time in the US go to a dealer.

-- Chuck
Old 09-22-2016, 12:24 PM

Reading the service bulletin I note the master cylinder moves (very slightly) aft during operation. Just wondering what purpose the aftermarket strut serves since it prevents or limits forward movement.

-- Chuck
Old 09-22-2016, 03:23 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

After purchasing a MY06 this spring I went to my local dealership about the recall, they had no clue as it was a US car.

I then called Honda in the US and started a file on the recall and was told that I would be contacted by my local dealer to perform the recall once they updated the ownership details in their system. Six months later, absolutely nothing. My dealership has heard nothing either.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hfreak
After purchasing a MY06 this spring I went to my local dealership about the recall, they had no clue as it was a US car.

I then called Honda in the US and started a file on the recall and was told that I would be contacted by my local dealer to perform the recall once they updated the ownership details in their system. Six months later, absolutely nothing. My dealership has heard nothing either.

Strange. Mine was diagnosed after 3 days I talked to Honda US