Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Official Southern Ontario Chat Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 01:57 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by S2K_Patrick
Has anyone ever done corner balancing for their S? Is it worth it?
overrated unless you're competing
Old 03-27-2017, 08:15 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

I was watching motoring 2017 and Graham was reviewing the ford focus RS. I got a kick out of it when he said one of the "minus" points was there was a lack of an automatic transmission. does everything have to give the option of a 2 pedal version? I think not. Not all cars have to appeal to all drivers at all times.

Anyway, i just thought he was being a bit of a baby complaining about it. I compliment Ford for not offering an automatic.

darcy
​​​​​​​
Old 03-28-2017, 02:23 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

He was probably just reviewing it for his audience which 90% won't buy it because it is a stick.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw
I was watching motoring 2017 and Graham was reviewing the ford focus RS. I got a kick out of it when he said one of the "minus" points was there was a lack of an automatic transmission. does everything have to give the option of a 2 pedal version? I think not. Not all cars have to appeal to all drivers at all times.

Anyway, i just thought he was being a bit of a baby complaining about it. I compliment Ford for not offering an automatic.

darcy
After owning a performance sedan for a bit, I certainly see where the 'automatic' is coming from, given that the ford RS is also a performance vehicle
Technology advances, and things like launch control, dual clutch and 8 (or even 9) close ratio gears really put automatic over manual
Mind you that many performance automatic gearboxes are much lighter, and tuned to be more powerful yet fuel efficient at the same time

Yes, I get that whole 'manual' adds to the fun and spritual driving factor, which is why I still have my s2000 and still on s2ki
But if we put that aside and focus on the technology and performance, you really can't beat many of those added-performance that are being offered in many new automatic performance vehicles
Old 03-28-2017, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by ATNCHN
After owning a performance sedan for a bit, I certainly see where the 'automatic' is coming from, given that the ford RS is also a performance vehicle
Technology advances, and things like launch control, dual clutch and 8 (or even 9) close ratio gears really put automatic over manual
Mind you that many performance automatic gearboxes are much lighter, and tuned to be more powerful yet fuel efficient at the same time

Yes, I get that whole 'manual' adds to the fun and spritual driving factor, which is why I still have my s2000 and still on s2ki, the d
But if we put that aside and focus on the technology and performance, you really can't beat many of those added-performance that are being offered in many new automatic performance vehicles
Its like the guy who buys the 4X4, lifts it, then never takes it off road. The performance gains on the track are great, if you take your car where 10ths of a second matter. When it comes to daily driving, i want my car to be as fun as humanly possible on the street- even if i'm limited to 50kph
For the record, i don't have to deal with traffic in this little town.
its the whole manual vs. automatic argument. I just happen to prefer brunettes.

darcy
Old 03-28-2017, 06:11 PM

Received 158 Likes on 121 Posts

I just happen to prefer brunettes.
Same.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:36 PM
Community Organizer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm just happy when a car is even offered with a manual transmission. Thrilled to see the 991.2 GT3 get the manual again as an option.

I'm even happier when a car is only offered with a manual transmission because it makes looking for used ones easier on autotrader/kijiji. You don't have to go into the advanced search and select manual only
Old 03-28-2017, 06:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our Manual Transmission Sales are up, the Civic Sport 6 speed Hatchback is popular. With the Civic SI Coupes and Sedans becoming available this spring and the Type R after that it will be interesting to see the numbers.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by ElliotCanada
Our Manual Transmission Sales are up, the Civic Sport 6 speed Hatchback is popular. With the Civic SI Coupes and Sedans becoming available this spring and the Type R after that it will be interesting to see the numbers.
very, very good news. Now, if only we could just go back to a good old fashioned key to start the car and do away with the key fob.

back on the auto/manual discussion- a friend of mine could not give away his '06 subaru legacy GT (turbo) sedan with an automatic.

darcy
Old 03-28-2017, 08:01 PM
Spotter

Received 277 Likes on 232 Posts

very, very good news. Now, if only we could just go back to a good old fashioned key to start the car and do away with the key fob.

back on the auto/manual discussion- a friend of mine could not give away his '06 subaru legacy GT (turbo) sedan with an automatic.

darcy
Give it away? Shit I'll take a car for free