Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Stupid question

Old 11-28-2016, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid question

they say there's no stupid questions but you're about to witness one:
is there any way possible to use the ac radiator as an oil cooler? i.e. create fittings or something? i would imagine the diameter of the piping for that radiator is too small, but i figured i'd ask anyways.

For some reason that area of the car never interested me, but i took a look yesterday because i was looking for rust, and that stupid thing is massive. whenever i looked at the front of the car i just assumed that you were seeing the coolant radiator, didn't realize honda dedicated that much space, weight, and cooling reduction to an ac radiator...

as a track car, and as someone who doesn't even use their AC in the summer, is it worth it to delete the ac? like how much would i actually need to delete so i do t have hoses just dangling around? some things i'd like to keep intact, just take the little canister thing and the radiator out if possible.

tldr, basically if i can't turn the ac radiator into an oil cooler (which i'm 99% sure you can't, just asking) how much work is it to remove it?
Old 11-28-2016, 09:46 AM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

To simply answer your question. NO.
To remove it all you need is someone to drain the system for you. Basic hand tools and you can remove the rad, pump and lines. Cap off the fittings for when you decide to put the system back in. You probably won't save much weight by removing it.
If your car is boosted then removing the AC will help with more cooling for an oil cooler and inter cooler/aftercooler.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Was a little confused with the post title and body but here's what I gathered:

1- Can you use the AC radiator as an oil cooler?
Same answer as myflys2k: NOPE. This unit was designed based upon one side being air and the other being refrigerant. Your idea has some logic but refrigerant and oil don't have anywhere near the same fluid characteristics (oil being considerably more viscous) and thus you would have heat transfer issues.

2- How much work is needed to remove it?
Get a professional (ie: someone certified to handle refrigerant) to drain the refrigerant from the system first. After that, hand tools are pretty much about it.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LemonJus
Was a little confused with the post title and body but here's what I gathered:

1- Can you use the AC radiator as an oil cooler?
Same answer as myflys2k: NOPE. This unit was designed based upon one side being air and the other being refrigerant. Your idea has some logic but refrigerant and oil don't have anywhere near the same fluid characteristics (oil being considerably more viscous) and thus you would have heat transfer issues.

2- How much work is needed to remove it?
Get a professional (ie: someone certified to handle refrigerant) to drain the refrigerant from the system first. After that, hand tools are pretty much about it.
i was reading up on this a little and a lot of people said i will need to cut the lines, i'd rather not do this so can someone confirm if i can get away with not cutting them? also apparently between the radiator and lines and crap it's almost 30lbs.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:06 AM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Leave the lines installed. Just remove them from the condenser etc. I'd be surprised if it was 30lbs. While you're at it mind as well remove the soft top and frame. That's an easy 70lbs there. Get a hardtop and remove for track days.