Tampa Gulf coast and surrounding areas...there be pirates here!!

DIY clutch pics/comments

Old 12-12-2015, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY clutch pics/comments

Thought I'd share. Pic and a lesson learned from installing my own clutch.

After following multiple DIY posts, and reviewing pics and best practices, mousy of them stop after the tyranny is pulled.

Even the youtube videos don't go into how to mount the throwing release baearing. I assumed (incorrectly) we had push in pressure plates... I was wrong. I installed and assembled all the way up to tightening the starter bolt, but had a feeling something was wrong...

You can tell by this photo what's wrong.

I finally dropped the tyranny again, but still it was he'll trying to find the instructions... buried on Exedy's page. After a made a makeshift press, I got that bad boy mounted...

Still, I think folk should include the mounting instructions for the release bearing and folk. Not intuitive if your only reference is predominantly push type clutches.

Top starter bolt required creativity
Old 12-16-2015, 12:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm about to do mine. Any tips for getting the top trans bolts out?
Old 12-16-2015, 01:14 PM

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

Nothing to it but to do it. I used a universal and several extensions. One of the first tools I bought when I got my tool box was a 2ft extension. The longest tool it took me to buy was the electric impact which has easily paid for itself in a short amount of time. The only problem I ran into doing mine was my helper. He was in charge of the engine bay while I worked under the car and when it was done my top starter bolt was only finger tight and my alternator bolt was missing. It seems most ppl have a problem getting the trans back on the engine. Mine went straight on with a little pop because I was super patient and got the clutch alignment tool to glide in and out. I also left the trans in gear so I could rotate the output shaft to align the splines. The trans should be fully seated without using the bolts to draw the trans on the engine. Do not use the bolts to draw the trans to the engine, they should fit flush with just you pushing them together. Dont get grease to get on the disk and clean the flywheel and PP. After you get the trans back on hook up the slave cylinder and test it immediately. Drive it normal and break the clutch in.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:48 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

The manual should outline this stuff. You got the pdf right?

You should feel like the man for doing this on jack stands by your self. Its an amazing feat, even if you did it twice!
Old 12-16-2015, 05:54 PM
Community Organizer

Received 217 Likes on 138 Posts

I did this shit on a lift, and it STILL kicked my ass.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kalibo
I'm about to do mine. Any tips for getting the top trans bolts out?
I did mine twice and used a lift. It's a long job and to be honest for what John at LHT charges it's well worth it. I'm not doing it again. Lol
Old 12-28-2015, 11:13 AM

We charge $449 including new OEM MTF and a resurfaced flywheel

It's not a fun job to tackle on jack stands for sure
Old 03-08-2016, 03:55 PM

I felt pretty accomplished but certainly got some lessons learned from it:

1) If you haven't been under your car in a while, plan on inspecting and replacing exhaust gaskets. All my turbo Gaskets were pretty well shot
2) Don't use the bolts to pull the tranny to the block. Learned this the hard way, now I need a new oil pan.
3) Choreograph your manuevers/visualize the win. Anticipate what the transmissions going to do with you loosen a bolt...so you don't kill yourself.
- 18 inches off the ground, there isn't enough room to leave the floor jack under the car for support, so do what you need to and use extra caution in critical stages (like loosening the bolts.
4) Breaker bar (or ratchet) works well to keep the block from spinning when loosening (or tightening) the flywheel.
5) Patience... When you find yourself frustrated or flustered, take a break. You work better when you're relaxed.
6) If another guy can do it, so can you. Easy to feel defeated initially, just take it one step at a time. All the write ups are great...use more than 1 if you can. Adds prospective.

7) ENJOY! The fact that you're manning up and taking care of your car, saving 400-800 bucks is worth celebrating! The experience is with savoring.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:56 PM

And a HIGH POWER Narrow Beam flashlight...helps with the top bolt. and the top bolts on the tranny as well.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:21 AM

I felt acomished the 1st time myself but now I prefer to pay LHT $449. Lol. Glad you got it done yourself.