Texas - Central Texas S2000 Owners Central Texas S2000 Owners

Engine Seized. Please Help

Old 01-10-2017, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Seized. Please Help

Hi Guys,

A few weeks ago, I had an oil change, and the shop put in the wrong oil (not full synthetic). The engine died later, and it was towed to Dave's Ultimate Automotive. Dave's says the engine automatically shut itself off after detecting the wrong oil. So they switched out the oil, and the car was running again.

Now 3 weeks later, I'm driving from Austin to Houston, and I notice that the car has some issues starting. It seemed like a battery issue. The engine would turn weakly. I shut off the lights, and the car starts fine. I stop for dinner, and once again, I shut off the lights to get the car started. About 3 minutes later, I'm changing gears and the car shuts off. I think I may have switched gears poorly. I try to restart, but this time, there's just not enough juice. The engine turns a bit, but not strong enough.

A tow truck comes out and tries to jump start the car. No start and weak turn. The next morning, another tow truck comes and tries to jump start. Once again, the engine turns, but it doesn't seem like there's enough juice. Then they suggest push starting it. They get my car rolling with the clutch down in 2nd gear, then after some speed, completely release the clutch. It did not sound pretty, and we tried twice. After that, I ask them to tow me to AutoZone to replace the battery. The battery is replaced, but this time, the engine doesn't turn at all. It just makes a click sound.

The local mechanic tried to turn the engine, and he says it doesn't budge. Then he took out the spark plugs and tried again. No budge. Mechanic says the engine is locked, and he doesn't know what's wrong with it. He says oil looks fresh. He charged $200 for labor so far.

I need to tow the car back to either Austin or San Antonio.

Question 1: Does anybody know a good s2k mechanic in Austin or San Antonio? I pray that I don't need an engine swap.
Question 2: What could be wrong? Again, praying.
Question 3: I have comprehensive insurace, but I don't know if this would be covered. I'm insured by Nationwide. Does anyone have similar experience with them?
Old 01-10-2017, 03:23 PM

Received 1,128 Likes on 991 Posts

You're being scammed. It wasn't the wrong oil, unless it was filled with 90 or maybe 0 spec oil. Nor is there an "oil detection" system in the car.

Synthetic oil is neither recommended nor needed. I'll bet a lot of us use it.

Possible damage from running with NO oil is likely. How well do you know "Super Dave?" One of his mechanics run the car around town with no oil in the engine? Or did you earlier?

-- Chuck
Old 01-11-2017, 08:40 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Possible thrush washer issue? Agreed on the oil detection/engine shut off situation. Not real. There is either a mechanical engine issue or something going on with the electrical/charging system.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:52 PM

Thanks for the replies. About the oil change, this is a 2nd hand report from the friend who was taking care of the car. I'm trying to get a hold of him to figure exactly what went down.

Let's say that I'm being scammed and the car had no or low oil...what's the next step?
Old 01-11-2017, 05:37 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

oil light comes on with low oil pressure. or super low oil possibly? not 100% sure on that.

have you been under the car yet? honda San marcos is one of the better dealerships of the austin and san antonio area. that may be a safer bet.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:28 AM

Received 1,128 Likes on 991 Posts

See if the mods can combine your two identical posts. Posting in multiple sections only fragments the relies.

-- Chuck
Old 01-13-2017, 05:20 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by PadThaiNoodl
Thanks for the replies. About the oil change, this is a 2nd hand report from the friend who was taking care of the car. I'm trying to get a hold of him to figure exactly what went down.

Let's say that I'm being scammed and the car had no or low oil...what's the next step?

next step is to inspect the car. check the oil level. look at the oil pan. look over exterior of engine asap. do you know if its seized first hand, or just what some one told you?
Old 01-16-2017, 08:00 PM

Thanks for the advice. I have a separate thread on the Under the Hood section. I will redirect all of my replies there as it's more happening.