Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Driving in the rain.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving in the rain.

So i recently just picked up my s2k and ,obviously, as any new car owner would i have been testing its limits within reason. In addition this is my first RWD previously owning a 1993 honda civic for the last 5 years. Everything has been going well and i've put about 4000 miles on it, so i do understand i'm not experienced enough yet but i do have a fair gauge of where it lies. Well today a friend of mine has having intense pain at about 5.30,in the morning so i drove her out to Denton Regional, the roads were dry. After about a 3 hour wait i decided to drop by my house and as i leave the hospital the ground's wet and the rain is on and off (i'm sure we can all relate to tx weather). So i exit heading north the frontage road on the 35 and notice the light is green where i need to turn left so i take the left at around 22 mph and get ready to take my next left to head back south on 35. I see the light turning yellow so i push the pedal down a bit, hitting 26mph and as i lean into the turn my rear slips out causing me to do a 180 on the frontage road. Luckily i avoided hitting both curbs. Aside from the slight hit to my ego it was a pretty scary incident to bear and im just thankful no one was around. I do not think i pushed the car past it's limits but i might've rode over a shallow ditch which could've cost me traction?

The tire tread and pressure was good, still on stock rims... if that makes a difference.

I was just wondering if any of you had some rainy day stories, tips or advice?
Also any drives who have driven AP1 and AP2 notice a difference driving in the rain due to VSA?

Thanks
Old 03-19-2012, 09:25 PM

There's an autocross at TMS this upcoming weekend, get out there and learn some car control
Old 03-20-2012, 01:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ this or get out late at night when wet and start testing your car's limits in an open area... Me personally, I don't mess with the car when wet, I already had.2 small incidents on wet/ice so I just take it really easy when wet...
Old 03-20-2012, 04:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like you are trying to make excuses. you obviously exceeded the amount of grip that was available.

hopefully you can have a slice of humble pie and not choose to accelerate so quickly in an s2000, in the rain, while taking a turn.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:55 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Out of curiosity what tires are you on? These cars are very sensitive to uneven pavement, moisture and sudden acceleration/braking maneuvers.

I hope everyone is careful driving today, I was out early and there is a lot of ponding on roads and highways!
Old 03-20-2012, 11:50 AM

its been awhile since I've been in that intersection where you were at but that area if I recall correctly has very crappy road conditions (uneven, bumpy, etc). Do you have stock suspension? If you can get pics of your rear tire tread that may help..IDK though. Glad to hear your nor the S got hurt. I drive like a grandmother in the rain regardless of what car I am in.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Marin3SSgt
I drive like a grandmother in the rain regardless of what car I am in.
Same here.

There was an SLK trying to race me a few years back, but since the weather was bad and I needed a new set of tires I didn't want to oblige. He got pissed and was in the middle of doing a fly by when he almost smashed into me trying to cut me off around a corner he didn't notice (for those of you that go to the Mr. Wok's dinners it happened at that corner next to where the gas station/home cooked diner thingy is). I spun out trying to avoid him and almost skidded driver side first into an electrical pole. I gained control of my S and ended up smashing both my passenger side rims and hopped on the sidewalk. Needless to say, it scared the living mother f'ing daylights out of me.

Not that I ever drove like a moron in the rain before, but ever since that incident I refuse to even begin to attempt to push my car in the rain.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:32 PM
Banned

I've intentionally gotten my car sideways in the rain plenty of times. Steering input and throttle control are key. Get to a track and learn some car control!
Old 03-20-2012, 01:47 PM

Again, assuming the only issue with the road was water (no painted lines, no oil, no dirt, no change of pavement type), then yes you did overdrive the car for your given situation and beyond your ability to catch the car in a spin.

There are some great guys on here who have excellent car control and can convey this to you. Meet one of them at an autocross.

But, essentially your throttle alters two major things:

Weight transfer and available traction at the driven wheels.

In FWD, it is a little easier because in an oversteer situation (your situation) one of the most appropriate responses to to mash the throttle which transfers weight to the rear wheels to gain traction and also the back of the car can't spin around on something it can't catch. Also, since the rear are not the driven wheels, do not really have to worry about the traction issue.

In RWD, it is a balance between transferring weight and available traction. In your situation, you did transfer weight to the rear (which is good), but the available traction wasn't there (bad - road was wet) so you spun. And then you had an OMG moment probably at the start of the spin and took your foot off the gas, which transfer weight back to the front, which took more weight off the back and helped the spin continue. Or you had an OMG moment and you gave it more gas, which means you lost more traction and still spun.

You will learn the balance quicker and MUCH safer in an autocross than at the track.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:06 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Mmmmm............maybe I need to see if we can set up a wet skid pad meet. Could be a good learning experience.

Quick Reply: Driving in the rain.