UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Anglesey trackday [Vid]

Old 03-15-2017, 01:07 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Enjoyed watching that! As previously mentioned, excellent car control.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:11 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy_F
Thanks It only comes from a lack of fear and having confidence in being loose, which in itself only comes from exposure and practice. Lots and lots of practice. Once you remove the fear, you become a lot more comfortable and relaxed with it... although that's not to say a bit of poo doesn't still come out sometimes!

Good point on using 3rd in areas, wish I'd thought about that. Would have effectively made me much smoother and therefore probably faster, although I'd have been out of vtec quite a bit so there'd be a decent trade-off. I'll be going to Anglesey again in the future for sure, so I'll give it a go one day.
Being out of vtec isn't necessarily a bad thing, the car produces plenty of shove above 4,500rpm, but being in vtec feels a lot faster.

I've also found that being in a higher gear means you unconsciously carry more speed into a corner, "a quieter car is a faster car", and thus you are at higher rpms exiting that you might otherwise have been which means you are nearer to vtec. Take away the additional downshift and upshift, and things get very close indeed - the speed at the end of the next straight is the real truth
Old 03-15-2017, 06:36 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great driving OP! Lovely heel and toe action
Old 03-15-2017, 08:08 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Being out of vtec isn't necessarily a bad thing, the car produces plenty of shove above 4,500rpm, but being in vtec feels a lot faster.

I've also found that being in a higher gear means you unconsciously carry more speed into a corner, "a quieter car is a faster car", and thus you are at higher rpms exiting that you might otherwise have been which means you are nearer to vtec. Take away the additional downshift and upshift, and things get very close indeed - the speed at the end of the next straight is the real truth
correction "a hire car is a faster car"
Old 03-15-2017, 12:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi guys,

I'm the owner of the white car Andy was following in the video.

I have to agree it was a very well run track day, really relaxed atmosphere due to the tone of the morning briefing which again was relaxed and informal etc... as a result the driving etiquette was some of the best i've experienced. It was great to meet Andy and the other Gentleman with the blue s2k,
It was interesting to see how my car lapped compared to another with standard suspension/drive train, acceleration wise i dont think my 4.57 fd made a huge difference vs stock but as mentioned earlier regarding using 2nd or 3rd I used 3rd gear on a few corners but a combination of carrying more speed and the 4.57 seemed to work on Anglesey for me. Below is some of my footage from the day

Lastly, throughout the day I gradually stiffened the Ohlins from around 10f 12r clicks from full stiff ending with 2f 4r the improvement in outright cornering grip was noticeable and quicker lap times backed this up.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Awesome videos and great driving
Andy F I like the supreme car control when you take the left hander onto the Tom Pryce straight in the International layout, rather than straight down onto the Corkscrew, if on Coastal layout. Also very interesting to see the differences in your standard suspension, std wheeled, std alignment lots of steering inputs as compared to the Coilovered white car with less need for steering corrections but thus so could be marginally quicker. Personally I like a bit of opp lock!

Last edited by rickya; 03-15-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:10 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SionBurchill
Hi guys,

I have to agree it was a very well run track day, really relaxed atmosphere due to the tone of the morning briefing which again was relaxed and informal etc... as a result the driving etiquette was some of the best i've experienced. It was great to meet Andy and the other Gentleman with the blue s2k,
It was interesting to see how my car lapped compared to another with standard suspension/drive train, acceleration wise i dont think my 4.57 fd made a huge difference vs stock but as mentioned earlier regarding using 2nd or 3rd I used 3rd gear on a few corners but a combination of carrying more speed and the 4.57 seemed to work on Anglesey for me. Below is some of my footage from the day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qc9OZhSdjg

Lastly, throughout the day I gradually stiffened the Ohlins from around 10f 12r clicks from full stiff ending with 2f 4r the improvement in outright cornering grip was noticeable and quicker lap times backed this up.
thats also a great video ! Thanks for posting it .

Where did did you get the final drive gears and who fitted them ?

My car car is getting the ohlins fitted this week , so good to see how planted they are . What damper settings do you run on the road?
Old 03-16-2017, 03:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rickya
Awesome videos and great driving
Andy F I like the supreme car control when you take the left hander onto the Tom Pryce straight in the International layout, rather than straight down onto the Corkscrew, if on Coastal layout.
Thanks for the words man! That was one of my favourite corners along with the left hander onto the start/finish. Although I'd love to have a go at the coastal layout, I've had a few goes at the corkscrew before on some old drift days and it was rather spectacular and I bet pretty exciting at proper track speed!

Originally Posted by SionBurchill
Really cool to chat with you Sion, was a nice comparison having a ride in your car also and having something direct to compare against. Looking forward to watching your footage later!

Last edited by Andy_F; 03-16-2017 at 03:38 AM.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bodyboarder1981
thats also a great video ! Thanks for posting it .

Where did did you get the final drive gears and who fitted them ?

My car car is getting the ohlins fitted this week , so good to see how planted they are . What damper settings do you run on the road?
The gears are Mfactory, fitted myself - I run my own garage, so luckily I'm able to carry out all upgrade/setup/maintenance work myself

Damper settings for road are normally set around 12-14 from full stiff. From memory it feels much like stock at those numbers although the car isn't used much on the road.
The following users liked this post:
Bodyboarder1981 (03-16-2017)