UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Auto Passenger Window

Old 04-20-2011, 04:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Passenger Window

I did a search and it seems this topic has come up a few times in the past. One thread made mention of a potential solution and it looks sound.

It's a piggyback system which claims to be able to add remote operation to windows also. Seeing as I only want a 1 window 1 switch install (passenger window/drivers side switch) I am not interested in the remote option, nor would wire it up. But for the actual auto switching it seems like this should do the trick, it;'s not overly expensive either.

See here:

http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/autol...?itemid=WC1000

Has anyone tried this exact solution or something like it and would care to comment? If the solution works what kind of interest might there be for a group buy, if not to save on the product itself to save on shipping?
Old 04-20-2011, 06:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd be interested in one of these...whilst only a minor inconvenience, it is annoying holding the s/w for a few seconds.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:03 AM

iv always been curious about this......

the drivers side has 2 stages when pushing up or down, the passenger side switch only has 1 stage going up and down, so the switch would need to be used from either the drivers side or a compatible donor?!

i assume that their is also relays and what not in order to create a 'loop' which then cancels?!

my dads new accord has auto switchs all round, including the rear windows, im guessing its all down to a cost thing. I wish there was 1 button that controlled both windows together
Old 04-20-2011, 07:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be interested
Old 04-21-2011, 01:40 AM

The cliffs on the subject are:

- You cannot just put in a drivers side window switch and have it work as the drivers one does

- Nobody seems to have looked in depth into a 'OEM' like solution by using the correct switch gear and circuitry.It no doubt CAN be done but what additional parts you need, what new wiring etc is seemingly unknown - Worst case is an entire electric window setup from a US vehicle. I think at the bare minimum you would need the switch gear, and be able to run extra cabling/sensors from the passenger side motor for feedback to the switch - Do we have any electrician types who could look over some of the parts diagrams and make an educated guess?

- The above system is a piggy back system which used the existing wiring and switching. It won't be a 4 step switch but pushing one of the 2 positions for up/down will start the one touch auto process and you no longer need to hold the switch down.

- I am not sure right now if the linked system allows stepped positions. Eg if you just want to crack the window open an inch. I ASSUME that you push once for the one touch roll down and then push the opposite way once to stop it mid-way. If it cannot do this it's no a huge issue for me personally, if I am activating windows it is usually an all up or all down affair.

My only reservation is the fact that it's not all universal, the switch is different. It's a function over form approach and I would be happy with it, just not as happy if I could have a clone of the drivers system in-place instead
Old 04-21-2011, 04:14 AM

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

If someone is able to supply me with the wiring diagram for both and front doors then i am sure i can work out what is required, can't be that hard to do.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's an ECU, so the challenge would be reprogramming it. Maybe the only difference between LHD and RHD is the wires are connected to the ECU the other way around - no idea, but if the ECU is programmed to provide the automatic functionality on one side, no amount of swapping bits around will solve it.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Dembo
There's an ECU, so the challenge would be reprogramming it. Maybe the only difference between LHD and RHD is the wires are connected to the ECU the other way around - no idea, but if the ECU is programmed to provide the automatic functionality on one side, no amount of swapping bits around will solve it.
From an electronics point of view, with an OEM drivers side switch with the multiple positions could you do a standalone system to emulate the ECUs function by piggybacking onto the passenger switching?

Eg - Normal up/down momentary operation, but on the auto full push/pull click a timed signal is sent to emulate a depression which simply 'holds' up/down for X number of seconds on the passenger window wires, after which a pseudo-stop signal is sent back to the switch to take it off the auto position as if it was the ECU.

This seems quite feasible? I would be willing to try this myself with some guidance on the right parts. I have tried to dig out some digrams for the parts/wiring but have not come up with much yet. Might have to dig the multi-meter out!
Old 04-21-2011, 05:58 AM

Found a wiring diagram - eventually!

From the service manual:

Old 04-21-2011, 07:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lazy buggers.

How about automatic roof catches?
Far more useful!

Quick Reply: Auto Passenger Window