UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Bucket seat fitting.

Old 03-22-2017, 01:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bucket seat fitting.

Hi guys, I have a new cobra seat coming today and was after any tips to aid fitting.
Thanks in advance.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:52 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Its a PITA to fit.
Space is tight and you will need to have everything nipped up, but not too tight so you can adjust in car. Then while in car, need to try and nip them up a bit tighter before removing and fully tightening up.

I need to re-do mine as the runners must be slightly out of alignment, meaning the seat is locked in place and wont slide freely.

My advice, take you time. Don't try and rush it and be very careful with the seats when putting in and removing. Easy to catch a bit of interior trim or body work with the metal rails.

Good Luck
Old 03-22-2017, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mr-T
Its a PITA to fit.
Space is tight and you will need to have everything nipped up, but not too tight so you can adjust in car. Then while in car, need to try and nip them up a bit tighter before removing and fully tightening up.

I need to re-do mine as the runners must be slightly out of alignment, meaning the seat is locked in place and wont slide freely.

My advice, take you time. Don't try and rush it and be very careful with the seats when putting in and removing. Easy to catch a bit of interior trim or body work with the metal rails.

Good Luck
Thanks mate... Do I fix the seat completely to the rails first or leave it a little loose for adjustment?
Old 03-22-2017, 03:16 AM

Bolt side plates to the seats. Should be OK to do them up tight.
Difficult bit is making sure the rails are straight, allowing the seat to slide.
So side plates to rail and rail to car should be lose.
Then with it in the car, adjust and tighten up as much as you can, checking often to ensure a good slide.
Once done, remove from car and fully tighten the side plates to the rails.
Then put back in car and tighten the rails to the floor.

Sounds easy, but not so, as there is VERY little room to reach the fixings when the seats are in the car.

Hope that makes some sense.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:34 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

I agree, its not a hard job just fiddly and a pain to get the runners working properly. In fact mine still don't. That's on the list of things to do in the summer

Last edited by har-vey; 03-22-2017 at 04:04 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:47 AM

Cheers guys.... Here's hoping the rain stays away and I keep some skin on my knuckles..
Old 03-22-2017, 03:52 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

How I did mine was to make sure the seat was all the way forward as far as it could go on the sliders on both sides. I then installed the seat (where only the rear two holes for the bolts were accessible / visable), bolted the seat down finger tight and then slid the seat back to access the front two holes. I then torqued the bolts down properly.

By doing it this way, I didn't have to do any adjustment and the seat slides perfectly.

I used the eBay Buddy Club "copies" (actually better than the originals by all accounts, as the welds on the BC ones are prone to fail).
Old 03-22-2017, 10:30 AM

Seat out no problems... New one went in with all the usual fiddly adjustments.... Then as I removed it one last time to adjust the tilt I sheared the front right bolt... Aaaaarrrrrggghhhhh!!!
Also got the seat belt connector problem to deal with... Any suggestions on the seat belt solution?
Old 03-22-2017, 10:09 PM

Ouch! Hope you manage to sort out the sheared bolt. Know why it sheared? Was it tight (cross threading)?

As for seatbelt, I managed to relocate mine as I had custom brackets made, but believe Har-vey used the rear seatbelt buckles from an EP3.
I'm sure he will comment and confirm soon.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:38 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr-T
Ouch! Hope you manage to sort out the sheared bolt. Know why it sheared? Was it tight (cross threading)?

As for seatbelt, I managed to relocate mine as I had custom brackets made, but believe Har-vey used the rear seatbelt buckles from an EP3.
I'm sure he will comment and confirm soon.
It would have had to be the front (which are slightly longer than the S2000 ones), as the rears are not the right size. The S2000 buckles are unusually large and not many buckles actually fit.....

Quick Reply: Bucket seat fitting.