UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Childsy's Blue s2k

Old 07-29-2013, 12:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoVTEC
The little 'jump/jig' from the rear when selecting first from neutral at standstill is normal.

The whine of course, is not. Would it show up on a video?
Glad to hear its normal!

I will try and upload a video later, cheers.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova

That is pretty common on these, nothing to worry about really.

1st gear clunk is common too, again, nothing to worry about.

(It's also worth mentioning that there are no AP2 UK sold cars, they are all AP1. Best to refer to the by model year i.e. MY04 in your case).
Glad the issues are just quirks of the s2k! Phew!

Someone has let me know that it's not an AP2, my bad!....
Old 07-29-2013, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by BenRNBP
Welcome aboard - Pensioner blue is the best colour

I have the same aged car as you and I found re-greasing the gear stick ball improved gear selection, there's a good DIY here and a good first job to start to get to know your new car.
Thanks for the welcome! Yes I do love this colour especially after a good polish and wax!

Will try that and see what improves, thankyou!
Old 07-29-2013, 01:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just echoing the above really could be gear box whine or diff whine. When dropping the oil check for metal fillings or chunks! Id replace one oil at a time so you know the soucre of the problem if it comes back. Can anyone recommend replacement oils for the diff and the gear box, I can't remember what I used some years ago in my old s2k. Ill route the pic out of my diff pretty shocking what came out of it!
Old 07-29-2013, 01:15 AM

[attachment=43136:diff3.jpg]
[attachment=43134:diff.jpg]
[attachment=43135:diff2.jpg]

Thats what I pulled out of mine. Needless to say the whining stopped.
Attached Thumbnails Childsy's Blue s2k-diff.jpg   Childsy's Blue s2k-diff2.jpg   Childsy's Blue s2k-diff3.jpg  
Old 07-29-2013, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by a3lkx
Just echoing the above really could be gear box whine or diff whine. When dropping the oil check for metal fillings or chunks! Id replace one oil at a time so you know the soucre of the problem if it comes back. Can anyone recommend replacement oils for the diff and the gear box, I can't remember what I used some years ago in my old s2k. Ill route the pic out of my diff pretty shocking what came out of it!
Gearbox Honda MTF-3

Diff, well thats a can of worms, everyone has a different opinion on it and I spent all of yesterday reading these forums on the subject. Landed on Amsoil Synthetic SEVERE Gear Oil 75w-90 (SVG) in the end.

It doesn't help the Opie oils only recommends mineral oils for the S2k diff. They probably work just fine but I want a synthetic in there for peace of mind.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:29 AM

I asked my german colleagues this a while ago

It is not easy to tell which oil is best as I do not know the actual reference oil in the S2000. I suppose it’s a Honda SAE 90 GL-5 fluid which is also used in some Honda boat engines. As the S2000 does not come with huge amounts of torque I would say XXXXXXXXXXXX (Castrol Syntrax Long Life 75W-90) is a very good thing. This oil has been used for more than 15 years as a first fill in BMW-Rear Axles (except of BMW M cars with limited slip Axles) and without any issues. It is a XXXXXXX formulation and therefore it has good cold temp. properties compared to the SAE 90 that is currently in your Axle. At the end it is not one of the very modern fuel economy oils but a good one for keep the Axle clean and get a very good gear protection.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by PhilipGB
Originally Posted by Childsy' timestamp='1375080184' post='22692761
The noise sounds like grinding when car is parked in neutral and whining when accelerating. If I coast along there's no whining until I accelerate.

Will just change oils to start with for piece of mind clutch and brake fluid was changed a couple weeks ago.

If I delay changing gear with clutch down the thunk doesn't occur.
If it happens in neutral at a stand still then it's not the diff as no part of that is moving. As it stops when you press the clutch and coast, if changing the gearbox oil doesn't stop it then it's likely clutch related.
I had similar sounds and it was the release bearing, well worth trying all the easy fixes first though as it was hell dragging the gearbox out. (done it 3 times now)
Old 07-29-2013, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by PhilipGB
Gearbox Honda MTF-3
This stuff is ace, definitely recommend!
Old 07-29-2013, 09:11 AM

[QUOTE=

Quick Reply: Childsy's Blue s2k