UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.
View Poll Results: Has your roof ever leaked water?
Yes
81.61%
No
18.39%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

The definitive leaking roof thread.

Old 03-11-2016, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody had the above issue?
Old 06-29-2016, 01:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a bit of extra information here and probably a good source to grab screen shots of particular parts from (as people seem to be having problems explaining or haven't taken photos). It would be helpful if people used screenshots from this video to explain what they are talking about in future posts in this thread! To make this easier for you guys I use something called LightShot which makes taking screenshots and saving them instantly really easy and you can even write and doodle on them before you save the image. You can Google lightshot or just download it from here: https://app.prntscr.com/en/index.html

I have seen this video on YouTube and tried it but it does NOT work for me. I messaged the YouTuber who said he made the video to highlight a problem after he had a new soft top installed. He claims that doing this will solve your problem and that it did for him but I'll say it again... it did not work for me. However he has had a new soft top installed too so bear that in mind. This video does however show all the parts to someone who hasn't taken it apart before which is useful to see.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gQ1nYvYKAw[/media]

I think I need to go a bit more in depth with it and check out the material on the front corner closest to the windscreen like Uncle Fester has suggested and see if mine is coming away or needs to be glued down.

When I removed the front rubber seal (that you remove after taking off the 1 screw and it exposes the metal rail underneath) I did notice that mine has an inch long crack on both ends, but then I also saw there is a hole on each end anyway which exposes foam so figured that if there is a hole there anyway that these cracks won't make any difference. The holes that show the foam is where the water gets soaked into and you can squeeze the foam and drips of water come out (like the video) but I don't doubt that (like Uncle Fester has said) that these foam parts inside the rubber get saturated and you end up with it filling up in the metal guide rail hence why you get a cupful of water on your shoulder.

From what I can understand it sounds like some people are filling up these holes with black silicone either or just the front one or even both of them. I imagine these holes are there for a reason and to fill them up could cause other problems?

I have shin-etsu greased the exterior rubbers, that did not work.

I have then followed this video above, this did also not help and I think I have re-fitted the rubbers in a worse off position so I am going to have another look taking them apart again as I seem to have more water on my passenger side than before.

I see a common theme that it seems to be the passenger side most of the time...
Old 07-02-2016, 01:52 AM

It's a rather long topic and I admit I haven't read it through...
I acquired my present s2000 with a replacement mohair roof that was leaking on both sides. The fabric itself must not be older than 3-4 years, everything is nice and undamaged.
Had a long period of finding the source of the leak. For months I was driving with fabric strips stick into the corner of the front seal next to the roof latch (to guide the water out into a container). Really looked bad and untidy. I tried to put storm sure behind the front of the front seal, between the roof and the seal. Did not fix it at all. I was nearly ready to replace the roof when I came across a thread about roofs on an mx5 forum.
Now I have to say at this is only a fix for mohair roofs since the material is quite different from the original vinyl.
This is basically a different approach from unclefester's solution for the same problem. Maybe the two should be used together?

So I have cleaned the roof fabric with washing up liquid and a medium strength plastic brush. I actually used a washing up brush. This step is to remove any dirt AND water proofing. Rinse well with clear water after you've finished. Let it dry completely, best doing it on a sunny dry day. When it's completely dry you need to water proofing it again. What I have used is called Fabsil and you can buy it in Halfords at the camping department. You need to soak the entire roof in this stuff. If you did a good job with the cleaning it will literally drink it. Apply with a brush and be very thorough especially around the edges and seams. I personally waited until the stuff dried and recoated once more. Wait until it dries again. It will give a nice waterproof finish for the fabric and also will look quite nice. For the first month or so water will bead nicely and just rolls off the roof. Later when the coating gets 'worned' a the roof will look soaked up by water. Don't worry it will still be water proof. It is probably a yearly maintenance to do but well worth it.
This method sorted my notorious leak. If you have mohair and have leaks, try this first. As I said before, could be the best to do unclefester's re-glue first and then clean, re-waterproof.

Hope this helps somebody else too!

James
Old 07-15-2016, 07:00 AM

Just coming to post to say that mine too has been giving me the cold shoulder over the past few weeks. Not noticed it before but now I'm living in the country rather than the city it's getting more use. Same as others my leak comes from the ringed area when pulling away or when opening the roof.

Name:  Roof_zps35dab2fb.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  48.9 KB

I've had the 2 seals off to see what I can see and both have some splits in that look like they might even supposed to be there. Apart from that everything looked fine. Hoping to get more pics as I work through trying to fix it as so many historic pics on here have vanished. I have some Gyeon Fabric Coat to seal the rag and will try some of the other suggestions for stopping it. Bunging up the hole would work, but that seems to me to mean water is still getting in and sitting there.

Attachment 168685
Attachment 168686Attachment 168687
Attachment 168688
Attachment 168689
Old 07-29-2016, 06:00 AM
CDP

These roof seals are currently for sale on eBay. It looks like it might be the answer. I'm going to try this mod myself and I'll report back when I've done it.

Not sure what type if one-sided foam to use that won't just peel off. I'll have to do some research!

Ad reads;

Front roof seals that have been modified to prevent that lovely morning shower you get when pulling away after a rainfall. Ever since I done this mod my s2000 was 100% leak free. These are very easy to replace, only takes 5 mins to swap over with your old ones.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:32 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Water in the Back Deck?

Sorry if this question has been addressed before, but I did a search for "back deck" & "rear window" with no solid results.

I bought an '06 S (Suzuka Blue, stock, 48k) about a month ago. The roof is about a year old. After a heavy Texas thunderstorm, I noticed water in the recess of the back deck. It appeared to be coming from around the window on the passenger side? It looks like a drip since there wasn't a large amount of water.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:25 AM

Default Pooling in footwell

Having suffered the cold shower effect from the soft-top mid-point on both sides for a few months, my passenger footwell is now resembling a lake after the recent downpours. The driver's footwell still seems to be bone dry. The quantity of water involved is not obviously coming from the roof and I have been wondering if there could be a blocked drain somewhere overflowing into the footwell ? I can't spot anything obvious under the bonnet but wondered if anyone else had had a similar problem, or whether it really is the roof seals and the water is finding its way along the floor under the carpet into the footwell.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:30 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I start with the pollen filter housing as a candidate, it's under the scuttle panel
Old 01-14-2021, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by unclefester
Foam should be there
I know this thread is super old but does anyone know the part number for these foam/sponges that are inside the seal? Mine where accidently thrown away by the shop that did my soft top install, believing them to be a DIY fix from the previous owner of the car.

They don't show up on here. https://www.hondapartsonline.net/v-2...ont-windshield

Thank you!

Last edited by BerlinaBibleBlack; 01-14-2021 at 08:56 PM.