UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Elastic straps for hood

Old 10-31-2008, 12:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Elastic straps for hood

The elastic straps on the hood which pull the front section down when the hood is retracted have a limited life. Prob about two years before they go limp.

If they are not strong enough they can, I understand cause the catches to rip a hole in the top and the top doesn't lie as flat as it could when down.

Modifry does some replacements which are easy to fit as they don't entail drilling out the rivets in the frame to replace them.

I thought I would DIY some to replace my limp ones before they create a problem.

Elastic can be bought from a haberdashers (great word) 40mm wide.

Cut two pieces 12 inches long and seal the ends from fraying - use liquid type superglue (comes with a brush).

Measured the distance between the pins - approx 17mm
Made up a jig to test the spacing of the holes and the depth of the pins needed.
Using this info made up some plastic plates to go either side of the elastic out of plastic from a A4 document folder.

I then made holes through the plastic & elastic using mutlipunch (looks like pair of pliers with different size punches). Stopped the holes from fraying with superglue.

Plastic plate either side of elastic, some superglue spread on plates then push a pop rivet through. Don't pop the rivet! Stop when it has expanded enough to hold the sandwich together.
I determined the size of the rivet by trying different sizes in the existing rivets in the frame. The nail end should be as tight as poss in the hole.

Then used some self adhesive pipe insulation on the back side to stop the rivets making a hole in the elastic when it wraps over the back.

Cut the rivets off leaving about 4-5mm. These will fit through the hole in the existing frame pop rivets.

Cut out the old straps one and fit the new ones

I haven't fitted them yet, will take some pictures when I have.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

DIY legend!, you share my enthusiasm for DIY mods.

Nice work
Old 10-31-2008, 01:08 PM
UK Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks promising.

If it works well, then we need to add this to the FAQs.

Bharat
Old 11-01-2008, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did similar - grabbed some elastic strap, removed the 'pin' from a pop rivet, and bent it in a U shape, kept existing rivets inplace and just inserted the 'U' shape ends into the middle of the exsisting rivet holes

elastic length was a bit hit and miss, lucky guess got it perfect!
DIY ftw!
Old 11-01-2008, 02:23 AM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

You're becoming DIY king, Shopman! Have been meaning to try this with mine after recently noticing the slack elastic whilst I was adding some small patches of roof material to places the roof was beginning to wear.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:20 AM

Cut the old straps out and fitted the new ones.
They fit very well

Note. If you cut out the old ones out with a sharp knife slip something between frame and hood to protect the hood fabric from the knife.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:56 AM

Just need to concentrate on DIY rear lower brace
Old 11-02-2008, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Ajs_s2k,Nov 2 2008, 08:56 PM
Just need to concentrate on DIY rear lower brace
I do have to go to B&Q tomorrow
Old 03-11-2009, 09:53 AM

If i bought a new roof a while back from carhodwarehouse, is it unlikely that i would have new straps?

Okay so I'm going to do this when i get my car back i dont have it at the moment, when i do i shall have a look my straps.

Can one not simply cut out the old straps and fit a new one in place?

I take it the pins need to be broke to remove?

cheers
Old 03-11-2009, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Ajs_s2k,Mar 11 2009, 05:53 PM
If i bought a new roof a while back from carhodwarehouse, is it unlikely that i would have new straps?

Okay so I'm going to do this when i get my car back i dont have it at the moment, when i do i shall have a look my straps.

Can one not simply cut out the old straps and fit a new one in place?

I take it the pins need to be broke to remove?

cheers
They won't have fitted new straps. Honda didn't when they fitted my new roof.

The straps are part of the frame, so you would only get new if you had a new frame too.

Yes, you can buy the elastic easily enough, I got if from House of Fraser sewing dept.

The straps are pop riveted in place, so you would need to drill them out and re pop rivet if you want to do it that way. Careful you don't leave part inside the tube to rattle about.

The advantage of doing it my way is that you can replace them easily when they need it.
They only last about 3-4 years before they become limp.

Ian

Quick Reply: Elastic straps for hood