UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

First post: On a £2000 budget what first mods would you buy for pre/post face-lift S2

Old 01-16-2017, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First post: On a £2000 budget what first mods would you buy for pre/post face-lift S2

Hi all I am Sam (27 from South Wales) I am currently in the market for my first S2000 I am happy to get either pre or post face-lift but will be dropping £2000 on servicing and mods straight off the bat.

My question to you is if you where to buy an S2000 and start from scratch what would you get?

I don't know if it will help but as a mechanic myself I will be doing all the work myself (bar remapping) and am aiming for a fairly OEM look with a hardtop for the harsher weather days.

I'm looking forward to getting to know a few of you and seeing what you come up with. Have fun and please leave links, who knows maybe your suggestion will help with the decision I make in a few weeks time.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:30 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

A decent stereo including sound deadening. Spend at least £500 on that.
Modifry glovebox organiser. Glove Box Organizer
Good tyres: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-irela...t-etc-1085229/
Good alignment
Driver training and/or track days: https://www.motorsport-events.com/pages/1-to-1-tuition

If you want to ignore the above, then a decent set of coilovers would be the next best thing to do (Ohlins, KwV3, Bilstein PSS9, Nitrons). Don't bother with the cheapo stuff.

That'll about do it. £2k won't get you much in the way of decent stuff for this car, I'm afraid.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:39 AM

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

One thing I would add to the list is heated seats mod. Great in the cold weather! Bargain at £60 with 4 hrs of fairly simple DIY.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:45 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova
A decent stereo including sound deadening. Spend at least £500 on that.
Modifry glovebox organiser. Glove Box Organizer
Good tyres: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-irela...t-etc-1085229/
Good alignment
Driver training and/or track days: https://www.motorsport-events.com/pages/1-to-1-tuition

If you want to ignore the above, then a decent set of coilovers would be the next best thing to do (Ohlins, KwV3, Bilstein PSS9, Nitrons). Don't bother with the cheapo stuff.

That'll about do it. £2k won't get you much in the way of decent stuff for this car, I'm afraid.
Lovegroova's right, of course

Mind you, get a 1/2-decent stereo and you can afford a track day to spin it in safety. Or a karting day if you cannot afford the tyre wear.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oil (engine/gearbox/diff) £100-150
- castrol edge 5w40 (honda filter)
- honda gearbox oil
- honda diff oil,
- or perhaps go with motul items for gearbox and diff.

Tyres - yoko ad08r is pretty much fav at the moment, or mich pilot sports - £600~

Alignment - £100-700 (depending on if any of the bolts are seized)

Brake parts
- pads - rc5+ / dixcel z / project mu (i cant remember the right code for the better ones) £250~ for all 4
- fluid - rbf600
- brake lines - HEL/goodridge
- discs - blueprint blanks are more than enough for track use, you can use honda blanks but you are paying more for the same thing. ive used blueprint blanks for 20 trackdays and never had an issue with RC5+ pads. you do not need or want drilled or grooved.

Drivertraining + trackdays. - £££££'s but well worth it!

All will be good and an improvment, if you go half arsed on anything its a false economy. you might think a particular brake pad is expensive, well there is a reason for that, and as LG said, dont waste your time with cheap coilovers. the stock setup is very good even on track to start with.

you dont get a lot, but each thing is noticable if done in steps, then working out what you would like to improve on.

Last edited by dan_bourne; 01-16-2017 at 02:26 AM.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:04 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For 2K I'd be looking at suspension/handling depending on which year you go for, and then brakes. I spent £1200 on discs and pads for mine rather than uprating the calipers, stops on a button now (once the pads warm up!!) No point making it go faster if you dont improve the braking!
Old 01-16-2017, 02:47 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I'd throw a Ballade TCT at it, only £200 ish.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:05 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

tyres, geo, service items then 100% go to a track day, recommend rockingham as they do free use of skid pan so you can practice loosing back end etc! I did this and it is invaluable.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

•Tyres - Ad08's
•Full Engine service including valve clearances
•Stiffer engine mounts - Megan/Innovative
•Diff collars/mounts - Megan/Innovative
•Uprated ARB's/Poly bush standard.
•Full brake service - Braided lines, performance fluid, performance pads alround, DS2500 are decent!
•Upgrade TCT - Ballade Sports.

Spend remaining money on quality bush replacement and alignment.

Car will feel brand new and handle very well while retaining suspension comfort.

As mentioned above, avoid cheap alternatives.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:24 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dan_bourne
oil (engine/gearbox/diff) £100-150
- castrol edge 5w40 (honda filter)
- honda gearbox oil
- honda diff oil,
- or perhaps go with motul items for gearbox and diff.

Tyres - yoko ad08r is pretty much fav at the moment, or mich pilot sports - £600~

Alignment - £100-700 (depending on if any of the bolts are seized)

Brake parts
- pads - rc5+ / dixcel z / project mu (i cant remember the right code for the better ones) £250~ for all 4
- fluid - rbf600
- brake lines - HEL/goodridge
- discs - blueprint blanks are more than enough for track use, you can use honda blanks but you are paying more for the same thing. ive used blueprint blanks for 20 trackdays and never had an issue with RC5+ pads. you do not need or want drilled or grooved.

Drivertraining + trackdays. - £££££'s but well worth it!

All will be good and an improvment, if you go half arsed on anything its a false economy. you might think a particular brake pad is expensive, well there is a reason for that, and as LG said, dont waste your time with cheap coilovers. the stock setup is very good even on track to start with.

you dont get a lot, but each thing is noticable if done in steps, then working out what you would like to improve on.
Pretty much agree with everything here.

Do all the oils first, then tackle the geometry. Make sure everything is free and the Honda revised geo is dialled in. I would also grease all the brake slider pins and ensure all the calipers are free and easy.

Only bit I would add is regarding brakes & tyres.
CL's RC5+ / RC6, Ferodo 2500's, Yellowstuff & OEM depending on budget. CL's been exceptional but most expensive, and other two are twice the price of OEM. I'd probably stick with OEM to begin with to learn the car.
Tyres depends on preference and style, plus what sized wheels you have. 16's it would be between Bridgestone RE002 and Toyo R1R. Both have decent stiff sidewalls and good all rounders. 17's i'd let someone with more experience in those sizes comment, but most like the AD08R's.

List would be as a newbie to the car;

- Engine oil (£50) & filter (£10)
- Gear oil (£30)
- Diff oil (£20)
- OEM Pads all round- (£90 at Cox Motor Parts)
- Geo & Pins (if seized budget around £1200)
- Tyres - Bridgestone RE002 (£250)
- Valve Clearances
- TCT (refurb free or new £120ish i think)

Bits to add if pins are free & extra fun;

- Master Cylinder Brake Brace (£30)
- After market filter - purely for noise and fun (£200)
- Rear lower brace (£60)
- Stereo (£100)
- Exhaust mod - better exhaust note without the drone (free if you can weld)

Extra cash and performance;

- Toyo R1R's (£360)
- RC5+ (£300)
- Bucket Seat (£500)
- Harness set up (£200-300)

And its always worth doing some days in the car;
- Trackday (£150)
- Driftday (£150)

Quick Reply: First post: On a £2000 budget what first mods would you buy for pre/post face-lift S2