UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Headlamp adjustment rod.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:56 AM

Received 243 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Headlamp adjustment rod.

Found lately that my dipped beam aim seems low, when the lights are switched on the normal up/down/up procedure doesn't happen, car is booked into the dealer on Friday to be checked, I have a Honda extended warranty and the service dept don't seem to be able to tell me if the warranty will cover any work required, it should by my reckoning but at present am looking for a second opinion before wife takes the car in. Anyone?
Old 01-04-2017, 12:45 PM

Received 344 Likes on 321 Posts

Suggest use the search button on here before parting with $
Old 01-05-2017, 10:28 AM

I did search but got loads of threads regarding the rod, none mentioned warranty after 3 year old though, or none that I saw. if they won't fix it free I'll do it after hours at work.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try this thread
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-irela...rking-1160388/
Old 01-06-2017, 11:55 AM

Car was at dealer today, they could find no fault so yech adjusted the rod in the hope that this will cure the problem!, when I got in from work I started car and turned the lights on and marked the light position on the garage wall, then I weighted the rear of the car the with 4 slabs and me standing on the boot lip, this caused the light aim to raise noticeably, waited about one minute but there was no movement in the light reflector to lower the beam to it's previous level, so I assume that something is not operating correctly?
Also am I correct in thinking/remembering that when the lights were first turned on the moved up and down to set the beam to the correct aim, this does not happen now, can someone check? Ta.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:17 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by martin j
Car was at dealer today, they could find no fault so yech adjusted the rod in the hope that this will cure the problem!, when I got in from work I started car and turned the lights on and marked the light position on the garage wall, then I weighted the rear of the car the with 4 slabs and me standing on the boot lip, this caused the light aim to raise noticeably, waited about one minute but there was no movement in the light reflector to lower the beam to it's previous level, so I assume that something is not operating correctly?
Also am I correct in thinking/remembering that when dthe lights were first turned on the moved up and down to set the beam to the correct aim, this does not happen now, can someone check? Ta.
I'm doing this from memory, but from what I recall, the lights don't move up/down at first start-up unless there's a need to adjust them (electronically). Also, when you place weight on the boot, the lights should adjust but I think it's every 8 seconds or something like that when parked, but when moving every 30 seconds.

Regardless, if you have put weight into the boot and the lights haven't adjust back to the correct level, then it's probably not working. You're assuming that it's the levelling rods, but perhaps it's the adjustment motors in the headlight itself. Check to see if they are ok? I had this on my Accord and posted a video on some time ago. It might help you?

Old 01-07-2017, 08:49 AM

Ta.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a computer 'module' that controls levelling.
Keep searching. Some models can be reset.
It wont be the rear rod, that just moves a small variable resistance to signal the module to shift both lamp motors a bit either way.

The initial zero point can be set manually by screwdriver, but it is normal IIRC for them to 'reference' like all HIDS do.
They motor up/down I presume to check they can move.
Search on the light control module....
Steve
Old 01-10-2017, 01:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Damn - I wrote this up - thought it was familiar.!!!

I had the workshop manual to help. Go find a copy.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-irela...etting-647140/
Old 01-11-2017, 12:38 PM

Thanks again, will find a wall and flat ground to do the measurements, and try loading the boot to see if they adjust from what should be an aim too high when siting down at the back.

Quick Reply: Headlamp adjustment rod.