UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

How *should* the brake pedal feel?

Old 08-26-2016, 07:51 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Fantastic thread!

At least for a 2006+ ABS+VSA version, I can report that the Honda HDS tool lets a technician activate each ABS wheel independently.
- How should this be used to ensure the best bleed?
- Apply pedal pressure simultaneously with ABS actuation via software?
- Or bleed twice before and after actuation?

However, still not sure what is happening inside the ABS unit when each wheel is activated. Maybe a proper ABS bleed needs a very specific sequence of solenoid actuation and procedure to do it correctly? I know there are several solenoids in there so not sure if just using even the HDS tool would be correct.

*Same tool also allows an actuation test for the VSA system which requires you to free spin each wheel so the solenoids can stop it. Maybe these newer ABS/VSA units are even more complex/troublesome?

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
Originally Posted by chrispayze' timestamp='1471806416' post='24044383
Thanks all, some stuff I've tried, some I haven't. I'll look into Rob Robinette's method.

Nick, what is the pressure limiter? Not something I've come across in my time under the bonnet.
There is a load apportioning valve on the rear axle. Reduces front brake bias as the load increases and it's controlled by a link to a wishbone. These days, they are often electronic, which is a PIA.

What usually happens if one jacks the car up (the valve closes off) and then one wonders why one can only get the merest weep out of the rear nipples, whereas one can get a good squirt out of the front ones. Clearly, you're not gonna bleed anything at the back like that, in view of the smaller M/C bore for the rear part and the long pipes...
First time I'm reading about this as well. Thanks for mentioning it!

I too have noticed this pathetic weep out of the rears on occasion but thought maybe I just didn't have the nipple open more. Pedal is also noticeably harder to push during this.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:10 PM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

Here's a useful picture. For a LHD car, so I'm not sure what is swapped around for a RHD car.

[attachment=98394::]

Attachment 98394
Attached Thumbnails How *should* the brake pedal feel?-forumrunner_20160827_070954.png  
Old 08-27-2016, 03:09 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by shind3
Fantastic thread!

At least for a 2006+ ABS+VSA version, I can report that the Honda HDS tool lets a technician activate each ABS wheel independently.
- How should this be used to ensure the best bleed?
- Apply pedal pressure simultaneously with ABS actuation via software?
- Or bleed twice before and after actuation?

However, still not sure what is happening inside the ABS unit when each wheel is activated. Maybe a proper ABS bleed needs a very specific sequence of solenoid actuation and procedure to do it correctly? I know there are several solenoids in there so not sure if just using even the HDS tool would be correct.

*Same tool also allows an actuation test for the VSA system which requires you to free spin each wheel so the solenoids can stop it. Maybe these newer ABS/VSA units are even more complex/troublesome?

Originally Posted by Nick Graves' timestamp='1471862752' post='24044702
[quote name='chrispayze' timestamp='1471806416' post='24044383']
Thanks all, some stuff I've tried, some I haven't. I'll look into Rob Robinette's method.

Nick, what is the pressure limiter? Not something I've come across in my time under the bonnet.
There is a load apportioning valve on the rear axle. Reduces front brake bias as the load increases and it's controlled by a link to a wishbone. These days, they are often electronic, which is a PIA.

What usually happens if one jacks the car up (the valve closes off) and then one wonders why one can only get the merest weep out of the rear nipples, whereas one can get a good squirt out of the front ones. Clearly, you're not gonna bleed anything at the back like that, in view of the smaller M/C bore for the rear part and the long pipes...
First time I'm reading about this as well. Thanks for mentioning it!

I too have noticed this pathetic weep out of the rears on occasion but thought maybe I just didn't have the nipple open more. Pedal is also noticeably harder to push during this.
[/quote]

You're welcome.

Just wish I'd thought of it earlier than I did...
Old 08-27-2016, 03:13 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by chrispayze
Here's a useful picture. For a LHD car, so I'm not sure what is swapped around for a RHD car.

[attachment=98394::]

Attachment 98394

Good find.

The answer is, little of any significance.

Nicely demonstrates the chambers and NRVs, which one can feel pulsing fluid back to the 'upside' of the line, so that the pedal doesn't drop as the ABS blows off & pressurises via the Normally Closed side of the system.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dembo
at the videos of you using your hand to press the brake pedal.

You've changed everything but the one thing you probably needed to change: the pads. Get something like Ferodos and it'll be much firmer.

I think I got air stuck in the ABS once but it was really horrible and sometimes needed to pump the pedal several times to get the brakes to work. Yours doesn't sound anything like that.
Had a similar problem of excess pedal travel after replacing all brake calipers, during which I ensured the master cylinder level didn't drop too low at any stage including subsequent gravity bleed.Was somewhat concerned by all the comments on forums of replacing master cylinder etc and rapidly looming MOT. Turned out to be excess piston travel in rear cylinders and cured by firm operation of handbrake 25 times or so to reset auto adjustment. If you have removed rear calipers worth exploring as a simple option.
Old 09-16-2023, 07:23 AM

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Abs bleed

Anyone use Pep Boys for abs bleed?
Old 09-16-2023, 10:08 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by Dibsen
Anyone use Pep Boys for abs bleed?
Think you're on the wrong thread

Always try a vacuum bleeder, super cheap ones are available and I have found them extremely effective.
Old 09-16-2023, 12:24 PM

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
Think you're on the wrong thread

Always try a vacuum bleeder, super cheap ones are available and I have found them extremely effective.
yeah, got a little trigger happy and noticed after I posted
The following 2 users liked this post by Dibsen:
martin j (09-17-2023), Nottm_S2 (09-16-2023)