UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

How low can you go? (seats)

Old 10-26-2016, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How low can you go? (seats)

Hi guys, I'm back...

so things have been super hectic and in my new job, I'm clocking up about 36,000 miles a year in the company beater, a lovely little BMW 120D MSport.

The S has been mostly sitting under its cover in the garage, battery on trickle, tucked up safe in bed.

I hopped in to go for the MOT on Monday and noticed that the seat position is super shite in the S2000 by comparison to the BMW. In the main, the seat feels really really high and with my legs an appropriate distance from the pedals, the seat is right back on its runners and hence my seat is bolt upright.

I can live with the rest if it were just lower... about 4" lower would be ideal.

One option I'm looking at is the BYS seat rails, but I have no idea how much of a drop this will give me.

The car is a pre-facelift MY2001 with stock seats and I am 6ft tall and long in the body for my height, of that makes sense.

so how much of a drop will the BYS rails give me and is there a different / better option?

my seats are in pretty good condition, I wouldn't rule out replacement seats, but the car is probably not worth much more than 5 or 6k, so I don't want to spend thousands of pounds on totally impractical seats imported from a small monastery up a mountain in Japan, beaten out of pure unobtainium by samurai ninja monks using only their bare hands....

Got any suggestions?
Old 10-26-2016, 08:12 AM

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

The BYS will lower the seat by 20mm which isn't much but does feel much better for me (i'm 5''8) however i am not too sure if it will help you that much being so tall.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:24 AM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

I very much doubt you'll ever get your seat 4 inches lower. An inch or two is doable with the stock seat and BYS rails (and some foam cutting for the second inch), but to drop more than that will require an aftermarket seat with low rails.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I had my BYS seat rail, my seat was pretty much on the floor pan. Felt a lot better to drive though and more comfortable on longer journeys
Old 10-27-2016, 01:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only way to get a lot lower in an S is to fit a fixed bucket seat.
I am effectively sitting on the floor with my Recaro SPG. It's the perfect height for me as i'm 6'
Old 10-27-2016, 02:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, that's what I thought...

off to Google those recaro spg seats.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:51 AM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Does anyone have a Sparco Evo or Pro 2000, Momo Super Cup, or similar? I'm looking for seats, but up here in Western Canada, there's basically no opportunity to try anything, so hoping to narrow it down then just take a stab at ordering something.

I'm 5'8", about 165lb. 31" waist (or jeans size, anyway), and a 38R suit jacket. Car's an AP2 FWIW. I'm going to be using it for 90% autocross, with occasional track days. Would like a seat with large harness holes to accommodate a hans, and obviously something that will fit me and the car well (ideally without rubbing the door, and leaving the console and secret compartment accessible). Since it'll mostly be for autocross, which involves a lot of getting in and out, I figure I might want to avoid TOO large of bolsters, although obviously will want good support.

The Evo looks maybe ideal, but from what I've read it might be a bit tight fitting? Would love to hear from others who have or at least have tried them - your rough dimensions and how it fit. Ditto for similar seats. Thanks!
Old 08-03-2017, 02:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had Sparco Evo's in my crx, they're a lovely seat but i don't think you'll manage to fit them into the S2000, they're very wide up top and are very likely clash with door
Old 08-03-2017, 04:22 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm 6'3" and have a BYS rail, I too am longish in the back (normally a 32"-33" inside leg) and can get a far more acceptable position in the S2000 than with the standard runners even though it drops only 20mm. The trick is to not put the seat the whole way back to allow you to get some decent lean-back angle on the seat back - I use the fart brace to gauge where my legs feel the most comfortable but I'm normally 3 clicks from the last stop back.

As an aside, I'm not sure a BMW 120 is lower than an S2000 - higher doors maybe so I suppose you could try painting the lower half of the windows for that "tall door effect" the 1 series have
Old 08-03-2017, 04:00 PM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by WinFreak
I had Sparco Evo's in my crx, they're a lovely seat but i don't think you'll manage to fit them into the S2000, they're very wide up top and are very likely clash with door
Hmm, yeah, you could be right. I know people have fit the Pro 2000, but looking at their site, it's 2cm narrower at the wings (so 1cm on each side). I could see that making the difference between "barely touches" and "gut the door".

http://www.sparcousa.com/product/evo
http://www.sparcousa.com/product/pro-2000

If you don't mind me asking, what are your rough dimensions, and how do you fit in the seat? The Pro 2000 is only 1cm wider at the inside of the lower bolsters, so that might give me a decent idea of how I'd fit it.

Edit: apologies for the attempted thread derail; meant to reply to a more general seats thread I had open!

Last edited by Nate Tempest; 08-04-2017 at 01:51 AM.

Quick Reply: How low can you go? (seats)