UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Key Fob Battery Life

Old 11-05-2002, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This morning saw my second key fob battery give up the ghost since I got the car in April.
What happens is that all of a sudden, the fob won't unlock the car, after 5 minutes of repeated trying the car unlocks just long enough to open the door, upon which it arms again and the alarm goes off scaring the crap out of me

Eventually, I managed to disarm the car for long enough to start it, upon which I went back into the house and found the original JDM fob which doesn't set the alarm. I know it's the battery in the fob, because this happened about 3 months ago in Hungerford market place, in front of the Saturday shopping crowd ("Oh look, there's someone breaking into that sports car over there....fancy that...."). When I got home and used the other fob, the car behaved normally (but being the lazy git I am I never bought a replacement battery - doh!).

Am I right in assuming this isn't the normal battery life for one of these things?
Old 11-05-2002, 01:03 AM

In my 02 manual it recommends changing the battery every 6 months! this is the standard Honda cat1 system.

Wooly
Old 11-05-2002, 01:03 AM

Got my car at the beginning of May and am still on my first battery on the first remote. I use the car every day, so it gets used quite a lot. Are the buttons getting depressed in your pocket (try Prozac ) or something? I can understand one of the remotes having a faulty battery, but both of them?
Old 11-05-2002, 01:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car was hardly used (by the previous owner) for the first 15 months and then has been in daily use by me for the last 15 months and I'm still on the original battery

Pete
Old 11-05-2002, 01:47 AM

Im still on my first battery after 1.5years.

Do you have the new nifty smaller Honda UK keyfob or our crappy old huge one?

Possible faulty button then it pressed constantly and hence using battery?

Keith
Old 11-05-2002, 03:31 AM

It's the same type as yours Keith.
I don't think It's getting pressed down in my pocket, otherwise everytime I went ear the car it would lock/unlock.

The only thing I can think of is that the fobs have been kicking around at the dealers for a while and were quite old. Off to get new batteries tonight on the way home - we'll see what happens then.
Old 11-05-2002, 04:12 AM

How many have you got Mark?

Quite possible they are old as they dont come with the car and any fob can be programmed to work with the car.

I had to insist they give me two when I bought my car! What use is a spare set of keys without the fob!!!

Where do I get one of the new type without spending
Old 11-06-2002, 12:42 AM

All was fine last night when I went to the car, when I stopped for new batteries I locked and unlocked the car OK and this morning when I went back, the fob which didn't work yesterday (and I hadn't changed the batteries in) worked fine.

Very strange.
Old 11-06-2002, 12:52 AM

I have only just discovered that I have to hold down the unlock button to unlock but only have to press the lock button and it locks. I suspect this is by design.

Keith
Old 11-06-2002, 12:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MarkB
[B]All was fine last night when I went to the car, when I stopped for new batteries I locked and unlocked the car OK and this morning when I went back, the fob which didn't work yesterday (and I hadn't changed the batteries in) worked fine.

Quick Reply: Key Fob Battery Life