UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Leaking shock absorber

Old 09-23-2016, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or should I purchase everything I might need assuming everything is seized and get it all done when replacing the coilovers?

Assuming my rear alignment bolts are seized - whats the minimum I could get away with replacing to make sure I can get an alignment done?
Old 09-23-2016, 12:19 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by sohailnisar
Or should I purchase everything I might need assuming everything is seized and get it all done when replacing the coilovers?

Assuming my rear alignment bolts are seized - whats the minimum I could get away with replacing to make sure I can get an alignment done?
Why are you assuming the bolts are seized, and why only the rears, and which bolts on the rear?
Old 09-23-2016, 12:22 AM

I've had the fronts aligned in the past with no problems - the rears weren't done at the time as Kwik Fit told me it couldn't be done on aftermarket wheels (!).

So after a recommendation on here I found a place that would align all 4. However I remember him struggling (a lot!) with one of them (can't remember which) but in the end, after a lot of trying, gave up decided to spray with WD40 and leave to a later date. It wasn't too far out so I left it.

So I know the fronts are free but the rears, at least one bolt on the passenger rear is definitely not.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:36 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

KwikFit - good to see they never change !

With the rears you are only likely to need a lower wishbone rear bush + adjuster bolt and a toe control bush and adjuster bolt. The rear lower wishbone front bush doesn't seem to seize (and doesn't have an adjuster on it either)
Old 09-23-2016, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
You can get the bolts checked for a few pounds. Do that first, and then decide what to do. Whereabouts do you live, perhaps someone can recommend a place to have that done?

Why do you think some of the rear bolts are seized?
I'm in Leeds - where do people up North take their cars?
Old 09-23-2016, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by BenRNBP
KwikFit - good to see they never change !

With the rears you are only likely to need a lower wishbone rear bush + adjuster bolt and a toe control bush and adjuster bolt. The rear lower wishbone front bush doesn't seem to seize (and doesn't have an adjuster on it either)
So is this what I would need?:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222160684727

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170989219716

And then get the adjuster bolts from Si@Hendy?
Old 09-23-2016, 01:39 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova' timestamp='1474618632' post='24068203
You can get the bolts checked for a few pounds. Do that first, and then decide what to do. Whereabouts do you live, perhaps someone can recommend a place to have that done?

Why do you think some of the rear bolts are seized?
I'm in Leeds - where do people up North take their cars?
This is a good start: http://www.alignmycar.co.uk/location...ius=50&x=0&y=0

Don't buy any parts until you've had it properly checked over. Do things in the right order.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:17 AM

So after fitting the coilovers I went and had the alignment checked. Here's where it's at currently:

[attachment=99598:IMG_7377.JPG]

Now unfortunately the rear toe adjusters are seized and will not budge. The camber adjuster is also seized but there is some movement as the bush moves with it.

I'm guessing my options are to get a new toe arm or to replace the bush and the bolt in the toe arm? Which would people recommend?

Someone is selling parts from an pre-facelift model - he has polybushd suspension arms (I'm assuming toe arm too) - is there any difference with these from the pre-facelift and facelift cars?
Attached Thumbnails Leaking shock absorber-img_7377.jpg  
Old 10-10-2016, 07:55 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

So after fitting the coilovers I went and had the alignment checked. Here's where it's at currently:

[attachment=99598:IMG_7377.JPG]

Now unfortunately the rear toe adjusters are seized and will not budge. The camber adjuster is also seized but there is some movement as the bush moves with it.

I'm guessing my options are to get a new toe arm or to replace the bush and the bolt in the toe arm? Which would people recommend?

Someone is selling parts from an pre-facelift model - he has polybushd suspension arms (I'm assuming toe arm too) - is there any difference with these from the pre-facelift and facelift cars?
lower rear control arms are not interchangeable between each car as the sub frame is slightly different, powerflex your tow arm or replace if you can find one cheaper, i ended up buying adjusting toe arms for my car when i replaced my seized ones.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:59 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Also, please do not adjust your camber using the movement in the bush if it is seized it will just tear, you need to replace this too. Again i used powerflex, and have been fine for 3 years, if i was to do it again i would probably use mugen. Although no issues with the powerflex at all.

Quick Reply: Leaking shock absorber