UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Little bit of rust

Old 07-15-2013, 11:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Little bit of rust

Hello s2ki,

I have come across some rust on the rear arches. Considering the car is 12 years old it is to be expected. I was just wondering really if anyone could give me a ballpark figure as to how much this will cost to rectify. The rust is at the very bottom of the sill where the arch liner begins. Also I have a little paint bubbling where the rear bumper abuts the wing above the wheel.

I plan on getting this sorted ASAP as I want my s2k to be well looked after. So far I have loctite'd the patches and sprayed the areas with underseal. I understand this isn't the best idea but I just needed to add a little protection.

As I don't want to be in the same boat in 6 months down the road what else can I do to prevent rust occurring to these areas (photos attached) after a bodyshop has done their work, maybe spats?

Sorry if a repeat I did search the forums before posting and discovered the arch liners cause rust too

Cheers

Mike

Ps if in wrong section im really sorry.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:26 AM

Sorry done via phone cant add photos
Old 07-15-2013, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just had to have a rear quarter replaced as the rust on the drivers side was so bad they couldn't patch it. Not surprising I suppose having a 13 yr old that's been parked on a busy road most of its life (plus I didn't remove the rubber )

luckily they managed to patch the passenger side. I have also had the whole car resprayed to get rid of some other bashes and stone chips. It was a lot! If you end up having to replace a quarter it's about 22 hours labour as welded on and they have to remove roof. I'd get a quote from someone to check what they can do. If fixing I'd guess around 500 ?
Old 07-15-2013, 12:08 PM

rust bubbles either side where the rear bumper meets the arch- cost me £400 cash in hand to have the metal cut out and new metal welded in. The cheapest quote I got was £360 but this was grinding down and spot welding the holes rather than cutting out. People will no doubt have had it done cheaper but I couldn't find a better quote.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:16 PM

Thanks for the replies, expecting a fee hundred to fix. I will get a quote on my lunch tomorrow
Old 07-15-2013, 12:47 PM

My arches have done the same. A guy I know who's spot on is doing it for about 120 an arch. He's cutting it out, shaping, filling and spraying it all up. Getting the front bumper repaired and sprayed, boot lid straightened, rear bumper tidied up too. Should be somewhere near when that's done
Old 07-16-2013, 04:11 AM

Been quoted 350 for cutting sealing and respraying both quarters is this good?
Old 07-16-2013, 03:23 PM

Id say it depends on how good their work is. You seen any of their work?
Old 07-17-2013, 12:10 AM

Received 623 Likes on 545 Posts

I paid about 400-450 (can't remember) to have surface rust removed where the liner rubbers had been and the entire rear resprayed including a small bumper repair

Good job but not perfect
Old 07-17-2013, 12:17 AM

I have seen some of their work before. My current other half had her fiesta repaired there, however they didn't quite get the lines right, so not the best sign in the world.

I spoke to another guy yesterday who seemed really genuine. He told me to leave it for another 6-12 months to see if it gets any worse and to wait for any other issue to come up.

IM going to remove the arch liners this weekend and use some rust neutralizer to give a little protection, any specific product recommended?

Quick Reply: Little bit of rust