UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Loving the s

Old 12-04-2016, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loving the s

Been cruising around most of the day, roof down heat on, country lanes haha. Can't wait for the summer in this thing! Anyone else use there car during winter? I'm a bit worried about salt :S
Old 12-04-2016, 12:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been doing the same thing. Roof down late at night with the cold crisp winter air, music blaring and exhaust shouting is just brilliant fun! I get people telling me I must be cold, but I tell them I have the heaters on. DUH. I've even driven wearing just a tank top in freezing cold weather but the top-down heater setting keeps me very warm.

Salt is bad, but if you're undersealed it's less bad. I washed the salt off my car today. I read that bicarbonate of soda can neutralize salt, so I put a couple teaspoons in a hose attachment with soap and sprayed all underneath the car. I washed it off after a couple minutes and I can confirm that my car hasn't crumbled yet so it must have worked. I don't know if it actually works, but I'm also undersealed so meh. The only problem after was going for a drive to dry everything without driving on salted roads...

I try to keep driving on salt to a minimum but sometimes I have to go for a drive.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:52 PM

Does the s come with a sort of rubberised seal along the side body of the car as standard, or can I assume that if my car has that it has been under sealed?
Old 12-04-2016, 11:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah there is a rubberised coating on the side sills as standard. Easiest way to tell is to look through the rear wheel arch at the rear sub frame. Also the rear arches themselves.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I set myself the rule that I only use my s2k if I'm gonna have the roof down, although my wife sometimes moans and makes me put it back up! But if it's up to me either roof down or take the accord!
Old 12-05-2016, 01:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if its a clear day, the roof is down! as for salt, as long as you're protected, underseal and give your paint a good sealant and wax you'll be fine
Old 12-05-2016, 09:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used my first S as a daily through two winters and then bought a beater as I decided it was a keeper and wanted to maintain it in the best possible condition.

In in my experience the salt really messes with the car. They are prone to rusting/seizing susspension adjuster bolt/bush combos so make sure they are both free and well greased. Also, the S is susceptible to rust around the rear arches and sills; there are a few threads on here about keeping the arches free from sh1t and trying to keep the rust at bay. If a search fails (sorry I'm on my phone on a train so no linky) try dropping uncle fester a PM, he's sorted all this out on his car and is a font of knowledge.

HTH
Old 12-05-2016, 09:56 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone, I have a pit at home so as soon as I can I am going to get under the car and attack any rust I see and then hopefully add as much protection as possible
Old 12-05-2016, 10:50 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

If you're really bothered about rust ... get the front and rear bumpers off and get that area clean. Also remove and clean the rear arch lip protectors, they are a moisture / mud trap and can cause the arches to rust from the inside out - by the time you see it on the outside it's too late. Also check in the boot under the carpet in the tool recess as that's another common area for moisture to collect.

Excellent info from DaytoneDave / Loftust about getting the sills sealed and i think Lovegroova has also just had his sills treated.

If you let the suspension bolts get rusted into place - it's a big potential bill to fix. Cheaper to get them all checked and greased whilst they are not seized.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:30 PM
Community Organizer

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveUK
I've been doing the same thing. Roof down late at night with the cold crisp winter air, music blaring and exhaust shouting is just brilliant fun! I get people telling me I must be cold, but I tell them I have the heaters on. DUH. I've even driven wearing just a tank top in freezing cold weather but the top-down heater setting keeps me very warm.
My neighbour stopped me the other day for a chat when i rocked home roof down in <0 temperatures one evening. He was super impressed

FastS