UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Recommended me an OBD device / phone app.

Old 02-12-2017, 05:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Lovegroova. So if I have the Odb Torque Pro plugged in & app running on the Phone that should record lap information etc. Then at the same time I have my Gro Pro Hero Hd recording footage. I then get both the Torqe Pro data file & the Go Pro video file & import into Racerender for it to combine & overlay. How does Racerender know when to match the start times of data & video together? Also I have the older GoPro HD Hero without bluetooth, will this work or does the Go Pro have to be linked by bluetooth to the Torque Pro app at the time of recording?
Old 02-12-2017, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
It's all very straightforward.

In Racerender you just copy the data and video files to your computer and then select them in RaceRender. Then it's a matter of reading the RaceRender instructions.
With some effort, you can do stuff like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcye6v5pRLE
Thats a good time in an S2K My first time there last year in my 350bhp Impreza I managed a similar time.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:33 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by rickya
Thanks Lovegroova. So if I have the Odb Torque Pro plugged in & app running on the Phone that should record lap information etc. Then at the same time I have my Gro Pro Hero Hd recording footage. I then get both the Torqe Pro data file & the Go Pro video file & import into Racerender for it to combine & overlay. How does Racerender know when to match the start times of data & video together? Also I have the older GoPro HD Hero without bluetooth, will this work or does the Go Pro have to be linked by bluetooth to the Torque Pro app at the time of recording?
That's about the sum of it.

As for the second part, RaceRender lets you "shift" each file so they sync up. When recording, I always used to start the video first, then use a 3...2...1 countdown and then start the data recording. It's then much easier to sync things up.

I used a camcorder for the video in that clip, so no need for any bluetooth connection.

I would advise getting a higher frequency GPS device - you get much better GPS data that way.

I use one of these:
Amazon Amazon

You can see it mounted on the passenger air vent in the clip.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:10 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

If you use Harry's LapTimer with the OBD reader, it records the footage and overlays the OBD data
Old 02-12-2017, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Mike RT4
If you use Harry's LapTimer with the OBD reader, it records the footage and overlays the OBD data

I have just noticed that in the paid Torque Pro I have just downloaded there is a Track Recorder plug in which I think may do a similar job to Harrys LapTimer I think?
Old 02-12-2017, 07:43 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike RT4
Good point, although you are reliant upon the phone video rather than a gopro.
It's also worth noting that I had problems with Harry's and the obd data as on the pre-04 cars, the obd refresh rate is only 1Hz and Harry's doesn't like that.

Having said that, I shot this on my old Galaxy S2 and it came out ok.

And yes, the track recorder plug in works ok in Torque.

I prefer the racerender method as I can use my custom rev counter

Last edited by lovegroova; 02-12-2017 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just realised that I'm running a apexi ecu. And the obd has been disconnected! I can get alll my live data through the USB on that!
Old 02-13-2017, 05:21 AM

Got it in under 24 hours on Amazon Prime and already its helped me out a great deal. This week my mechanic did a load of work on the car including clutch change. Got a CEL light at the garage when job was finished, as well as loss of VTEC, poor idling and occasionally stalling during reverse gear and his equipment couldn't read the code. I was thinking IAC valve or map sensor. Just now hooked up the Torque Pro OBD2 with app. Its actually a P0325 Knock sensor circuit or knock sensor error, apparently this is common occurrence after a clutch change. As knock sensor is near gearbox bolts, its quite easy to either damage the knock sensor or pull the wiring while tilting gearbox etc.

So easy to use the app and saved me a bit of head scratching and worrying. So back to the mechanic this week for him to rectify it. Once car is working properly I'll have a look at doing further testing and playing around with race render and track recorder etc.