UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Relocating the Radio

Old 11-04-2016, 05:00 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Thats a nice install,
I alwasy worry about putting tech like PC's into cars. Im an IT Engineer which puts me off, if only i could build a machine powerful enough to load the AEM software on its owns under a stripped down OS... now there is an idea!
Old 11-04-2016, 05:04 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Someone did a car PC install a while back, it may be worth searching for that?
Old 11-04-2016, 06:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kitesurfer s2000
Trust me with boost you do not have time to look down.
Not trying to argue, but I don't understand this comment. If I had to stare at the AF gauge the whole time I'm driving I think I'd go back to stock. In my experience the AF doesn't change much once the car is tuned, unless something breaks. My first S didn't even have a permanent AF gauge and I put 150k miles on the SC without any problems.

As for relocating the HU - I'm not aware of any ready-made extender wiring but you could make your own using Metra harnesses. I know the antenna wire runs along the passenger side of the transmission tunnel but I wouldn't bother messing with that. Just go directly to the antenna pre-amplifier box (in the trunk under the antenna), unplug the OEM antenna cable, and use a standard antenna extender cable to run to the new head unit location. My HU is currently in the trunk, in the spare tire area along with a small sub, and that's what I did.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:50 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by johnckeen
Thats a nice install,
I alwasy worry about putting tech like PC's into cars. Im an IT Engineer which puts me off, if only i could build a machine powerful enough to load the AEM software on its owns under a stripped down OS... now there is an idea!
Just get a cheap chinese tablet running win10, I'm not familiar with the AEM software but I doubt the system requirements should be any problems.
I'll have one sitting like this with two magnet vent holders.
Old 11-04-2016, 07:08 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

If the car's mapped properly you don't need to watch the AFR or any other mapped reading. It should only be checked every so offent if you think there is a problem.

IMO you do need to watch oil temp/pressure, coolant temp and possibly AIT. I keep an eye on these when on the track just to make sure I'm not overdoing things.

Old 11-04-2016, 07:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by E4RTH WORM JIM
If the car's mapped properly you don't need to watch the AFR or any other mapped reading. It should only be checked every so offent if you think there is a problem.

IMO you do need to watch oil temp/pressure, coolant temp and possibly AIT. I keep an eye on these when on the track just to make sure I'm not overdoing things.

I'm with you. Right now I have the oil temp/pressure and AFR temporarily installed where the radio belongs but I plan to move the 2 oil gauges into the OEM cluster and at that time the AFR goes back in the tool box. I don't track my car any more so I'm not concerned about IAT, but in my first S there was one particularly hot day at the track where IAT reached 199°. Might have been hotter, as that was the reading from the stock ECU and I wonder if the OBD output might be capped at 199. I know the ECT readings have big gaps at the upper range, jumping from 246° to 261° with nothing in-between, so it makes me wonder about how accurate the rest of the OBD signals are. As you'd expect, with those IATs the car ran very poorly, (ignition timing?), so I just stayed in the pits till the day cooled down.
Old 11-04-2016, 07:55 AM

Flanders, just spent the last hour reading through your thread. Your car is mega, you should feel very proud!

I did look into the tablet thing a while back and may opt for it.
Old 11-04-2016, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by modifry
I'm with you. Right now I have the oil temp/pressure and AFR temporarily installed where the radio belongs but I plan to move the 2 oil gauges into the OEM cluster and at that time the AFR goes back in the tool box. I don't track my car any more so I'm not concerned about IAT, but in my first S there was one particularly hot day at the track where IAT reached 199°. Might have been hotter, as that was the reading from the stock ECU and I wonder if the OBD output might be capped at 199. I know the ECT readings have big gaps at the upper range, jumping from 246° to 261° with nothing in-between, so it makes me wonder about how accurate the rest of the OBD signals are. As you'd expect, with those IATs the car ran very poorly, (ignition timing?), so I just stayed in the pits till the day cooled down.

OEM cluster?
Old 11-04-2016, 08:48 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Purely as a matter of discussion, is there anything to improve reception of a smartphone - iWhipaerial or somesuch?

It's probably a Hertford problem (those ley lines that apparently keep the unique crows in the Royston triangle again!) but OutofTune Radio can be very spotty round these parts.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:14 AM

Just had my radio out and measured it, the mechless compact radio is under half as big, it will be tight but the gauges should fit in front with a bit of jiggery pokery

Quick Reply: Relocating the Radio