UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Resurrecting/restoring a track day legend

Old 10-03-2016, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brilliant, will watch this
Old 10-03-2016, 02:15 PM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

One of the first jobs to address was to make sure the front subframe bolts would come out as we would be dropping the engine out complete with the frame as this is the best way to remove the engine and box as a unit, the problem is that the front frame bolts often seize in and after a trip around the forum have seen case's where these bolts have snapped causing a right headache so the first job was to soak them for a few days just in case i encountered this problem, this is done by spraying plus gas through the holes in the chassis leg just behind the X member and above the rack and the same on the n/s as well giving it a good dosing a couple of times a day,

A few days later when we removed the bolts it was plain to see that they had already started to form rust around the marker groove (used as a datum point to lower the frame to when fitting a clutch) the penetrating oil can be seen to have done it's job in softening the rust

The other job was to clean all the rust of any exposed threads that needed to be undone and spray them with penetrating oil, the reason being to stop any of the rust being dragged into the nut making them more difficult to remove and possibly damaging the threads a simple task that saves time in the long run,

All boring stuff to start with but important to help the job go easier
Old 10-03-2016, 10:55 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Love this kind of thread
Old 10-04-2016, 01:29 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Subscribed.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:59 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Ray, are you going for a used short block and re-using the head?

I'm having mine rebuilt in the coming months and my 2.2 bottom end (which is healthy) could be available... I guess you may have to keep it 2 litre if you're doing sprints etc.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to enjoy this one Ray

Have you investigated the spare engines which you have? and how deeply into the strip-down are you intending to go before the re-build?

Lots of

Old 10-04-2016, 10:56 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by MB
Ray, are you going for a used short block and re-using the head?

I'm having mine rebuilt in the coming months and my 2.2 bottom end (which is healthy) could be available... I guess you may have to keep it 2 litre if you're doing sprints etc.
Now that is tempting but i really want to try to refresh the car back to as close to oem as poss but retaining the billies so that i will be able to sprint in the standard road production class ( uprated shocks are one of the few things that are allowed) still very tempting though

Originally Posted by lifecrisis
I'm going to enjoy this one Ray

Have you investigated the spare engines which you have? and how deeply into the strip-down are you intending to go before the re-build?

Lots of

Not as yet but hope to strip one this Sat to check the bores up close fingers crossed, if not then i'll have to have a rethink on which route to take as i still have the option of using the engine out of my current one then building a sleeved engine for this
Old 10-04-2016, 11:06 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good thread!
Old 10-04-2016, 11:12 AM

Received 73 Likes on 60 Posts

This is very interesting , as I am being roped in to help rebuild Toby Chippos F20C once I have finished his brothers shower room build !
Old 10-04-2016, 12:08 PM

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

I can only dream of a garage space that big! Good luck!

Quick Reply: Resurrecting/restoring a track day legend