UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Advice Please - Noise on/off throttle

Old 12-08-2012, 03:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice Please - Noise on/off throttle

I have a "clonking" noise when in gear and go on/off the throttle (most prominent in the lower gears at lower speeds) thats seems like backlash or play in the driveline.

I have had the following work done to try and eliminate the problem and tighten things up to no avail:

New Megan Racing Engine Mounts and Transmission mounts

Differential Collars

New OEM Clutch as it needed doing anyway

If anyone can recommend what I look at next, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated?
Old 12-08-2012, 03:23 AM

Is the clunk coming from the rear? There's a few threads on here about re-torqueing the rear axle nuts to a higher torque than Honda settings as they're not tight enough out of the factory. Do a search and have a read up on that, I'm sure its solved a few clunks.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:53 AM

Your prognosis of backlash is accurate in my opinion. Get the car in the air, take the wheels off, and rotate the prop. You should then feel it if it is backlash.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:41 PM

Thanks for the comments, it appears to be mainly at low revs (2-3k rpm) in a high gear.

I will try the axel nuts but doesn't sound like that really think its more backlash but is this normal and is there any way to cure it?
Old 12-08-2012, 02:47 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but what is backlash? What causes it? Genuinely interested here.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:46 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Backlash is the play in a gear or coupled system, which you get before you get actual rotation. For example if you uncoupled the propshaft from the gearbox and turned it very slightly, there would be a fraction of a turn of free play before you felt engagement in the diff.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:51 AM

MB - is backlash normal then in these cars or is it due to wear of components.

When the engining is spinning at high revs 4.5k rpm + and I go on/off throttle no backlash occurs feels nice and smooth transission however at lower revs it "clunks"
Old 12-09-2012, 01:52 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

It shouldn't clunk. Is it coming from the diff of gearbox area? Not easy to tell but I think as Ron says, getting it in the air would be best.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:57 AM

Its hard to tell I think its the gearbox, it now seems to be more apparent and metallic since getting diff collars and having the clutch changed.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:02 AM

I had the clonk from the rear when changing from reverse to first, moving backward and forward you can feel it. All I did was re-torque the axle nuts and it never came back. If that helps!

Quick Reply: Advice Please - Noise on/off throttle