UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Review of S2K by Drive Magazine Ireland voted sportscar of the year.

Old 10-08-2001, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Review of S2K by Drive Magazine Ireland voted sportscar of the year.

It took me less than a second to decide on the Honda S2000 as my Drive Magazine Car of the Year. After all I had been waiting for it to arrive for almost two years. Ever since I first laid eyes on it at the Geneva Motorshow it caught my attention and struck me as potentially the most exciting new road car I'd seen. The new Audi TT, also then at Geneva, brought a fresh beauty but the figures did'nt stack up and the comparative understatement of the S2000's looks just spelt quiet confidence to me. If it lived up to the on-paper promise, it would be stunning. I was sure it would do. This was a Honda after all and Honda doesn't mess around with performance, it just delivers it.

So I waited and Waited and nearly two years later the S2000 was mine to discover, It didn't disappoint. The S2000 is obviously about performance, 240bhp from a 2.0 Litre normally aspirated engine, a 900rpm red line and race bred handling characteristics born from rear wheel drive, but it it its flexibility and functionality at so many levels that is so impressibe and why for me, it had no competition for DMCTY domination.

Not only is it quick, it's clever. The engine delivers peak power at 8,200 rpm and peak torque at 7,500rpm, where most other engines would be in their death throes. It pulls strong and clean all the way to 9k with a lovely, and loud engine pitch. Very exciting and not only will it see you an Audi TT it will raise you a Porsche Boxster too. But where's the flexibility in that you may ask ? Well it's not all top end, it will still pull away in third gear or cruise in sixth at less than 40mph. So you've got your 3-4,000rpm opentopped cruiser or you've got your 5-7,000rpm road rocket or you've got an 8-9,000rpm track tearaway. It can be whatever you want it to be.

On the face of it, the S2000 appears to be a niche car, with perhaps narrow appeal, a sporty little performance car that requires a confident, capable driver to realize its potential. But dare I say it,, the S2000 is not only about the engine. It's also a beautiful open topped 'cruisable' convertible that's relaxed and easy on the road. It's a joy and you dont have to be an expert to drive it (just to spin it)
It is small but it has remarkable luggage space for this type of car and a roof that folds away without eating into your boot space. Whichever way you turn and look at it, the S2000 has an answer. It's functional, its clever, its impressive, its unique and its exciting.

So, where's the catch, there's always a catch. 'And all it needs is ... ' or 'if only it had a . . . ' Well, the recurring question on our judgement day was the cost. It is not a cheap motorcar but you have to look at what else the same money can buy. The Audi TT Can't deliver the power, the BMW Z3, by all accounts, just can't deliver, full stop and to top the stats you'll have to push the boat out to a 25obhp IR
Old 10-08-2001, 02:16 PM

is it possible to post pics from mag
Old 10-08-2001, 10:37 PM

You will have to scan them in then host from webspace....I think.....somebody will advise.
Old 10-08-2001, 10:42 PM

Hi Fireblade!

It's nice to see a wholly positive write up of the S2000, I can't believe they think it has more space than a Boxster though (2 boots!)

If you register your VIN in "MyS2000" at the top of the screen you can change your status to owner, this then allows you to upload scanned images (.jpg) to the S2KI server. You can then insert these into your post using the IMG button.

If you don't want to send your VIN over the ether you can use Clubphoto.com who also offer a free photo hosting service.
Old 10-09-2001, 07:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by fireblade2ooo
So I waited and Waited and nearly two years later the S2000 was mine to discover,
Why does a journalist have to wait two years to test a car

It can be whatever you want it to be.[/B]
That's what I like about it too

Pete
Old 10-09-2001, 10:25 AM

THANKS TIFOSI
reged vin now i am an owner.
i will post mag pics later.
thanks again