UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Rust, how much of an issue?

Old 02-16-2017, 03:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rust, how much of an issue?

I am looking to purchase my first S2000, and given the track records with my previous EK Civic and DC2 Integra I know corrosion is expensive to fix. The main concern on the S2000 being rusted rear arches and sills and of course seized bushes.

I have seen example for sale which is a 2004 model, and looks very clean from internet pics, albeit with 119,000 miles.

Its 3hr journey away so thought i would ask the dealer a few questions on its service history, and in particular if its had a geometry check/alignment in the last few years. (in the hope this would rule out possible seized bushes) His response was "its got full Honda history"... On explaining my reasons for questioning, he didn't bother to reply. Looking at the MOT history there was an advisory (1 year ago, but not on recent one carried out) for "various suspension and braking components corroded" - is this one to walk away from?

If i do make a long journey to view the car, i guess getting the car in the air for inspection would be ideal.

I know the S is an appreciating classic, but it seems every half decent example sellers are pushing their luck and labelling it a minter and asking top money. I wonder whether things will settle down come the spring?
Old 02-16-2017, 04:04 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

The best thing to do is read the last page of this thread https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-irela...1081497/page4/ this will show you what can happen..

Last edited by tozerman; 02-16-2017 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-16-2017, 07:39 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The sort of reply you got from the dealer is the sort of stuff that puts me off buying from them.

I personally would rather buy from an enthusiast who has spent time cleaning the car and doing preventative maintenance etc, and knows about it and can answer questions, 3 hours is a long way to find out it's a dog of a part ex to a dealer.

Are there no better private cars near you, or are you hoping for a warranty on this? Personally I don't think anything covered on a warranty would actually go wrong on an s2k
Old 02-16-2017, 07:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car came with full dealer history, it had the usual seized bushes so you should expect to have to do them anyway.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Riknos
The sort of reply you got from the dealer is the sort of stuff that puts me off buying from them.

I personally would rather buy from an enthusiast who has spent time cleaning the car and doing preventative maintenance etc, and knows about it and can answer questions, 3 hours is a long way to find out it's a dog of a part ex to a dealer.

Are there no better private cars near you, or are you hoping for a warranty on this? Personally I don't think anything covered on a warranty would actually go wrong on an s2k
Exactly, I realised most dealers aren't in fact what i would call 'car people' - which is incredible. Maybe they just want an easy sale, or are covering up for a car which is hiding a few issues.

Seem a couple locally, one was a little overpriced IMO, and the other very tatty and tired. There aren't too many for sale near me, maybe things will pick up when spring comes around, but i want one now so i can fettle with the car now and enjoy come the nice weather!

Would definitely prefer to go private - but just a decent 04/05 model (not in Nurburgring Blue!) would be nice.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:59 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I think you'll find that picking one up in spring will incur "summer tax". October onwards seems the best purchase time, assuming more haven't been binned this summer, (which they will - https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicl...t#!manufacture)
Old 02-16-2017, 10:55 AM

Blue purple are you looking at the black one that's on Autotrader for £7,291? I went to see this and it did have rust underneath and within the arches. That alone made me walk away, not to mention the deep scratches and very tired looking interior. I ended up getting a 04 Moonrock Grey with similar mileage but in amazing condition with 12 MOT, FHSH, new roof, geo done, every single receipt, 2 owners, no scratches or dents, mint interior etc
Old 02-16-2017, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Leonfocus
Blue purple are you looking at the black one that's on Autotrader for £7,291? I went to see this and it did have rust underneath and within the arches. That alone made me walk away, not to mention the deep scratches and very tired looking interior. I ended up getting a 04 Moonrock Grey with similar mileage but in amazing condition with 12 MOT, FHSH, new roof, geo done, every single receipt, 2 owners, no scratches or dents, mint interior etc
thats the one! Thanks for the heads up, saved me a wasted day.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:40 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bluepurple
I am looking to purchase my first S2000, and given the track records with my previous EK Civic and DC2 Integra I know corrosion is expensive to fix. The main concern on the S2000 being rusted rear arches and sills and of course seized bushes.

I have seen example for sale which is a 2004 model, and looks very clean from internet pics, albeit with 119,000 miles.

Its 3hr journey away so thought i would ask the dealer a few questions on its service history, and in particular if its had a geometry check/alignment in the last few years. (in the hope this would rule out possible seized bushes) His response was "its got full Honda history"... On explaining my reasons for questioning, he didn't bother to reply. Looking at the MOT history there was an advisory (1 year ago, but not on recent one carried out) for "various suspension and braking components corroded" - is this one to walk away from?

If i do make a long journey to view the car, i guess getting the car in the air for inspection would be ideal.

I know the S is an appreciating classic, but it seems every half decent example sellers are pushing their luck and labelling it a minter and asking top money. I wonder whether things will settle down come the spring?
I'd walk away from it on mileage alone.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:02 AM

Suspension components which won't move or can't be confirmed as having had adjustment, add £2k to the budget.

Quick Reply: Rust, how much of an issue?