UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

SCZ4's S2000 Mods and Maintenance

Old 04-21-2013, 02:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Coldfuse
Very nice work there lad.... bit of an odd question but did you do your underseal yourself?
I did yeah, very time consuming, but also very satisfying, looks like new.

As I mentioned above, I painted it rather than sprayed, a much neater job!
Old 06-13-2013, 10:55 AM

I've been ordering a few suspension components from the US and from Hendy Performance for the Mugen bushes. However, it looks like the Megan parts are now pink, I know it's under the car, but it's still annoying somehow

Megan Racing Rear Driveshaft Spacer Kit
Megan Racing Rear Toe Arms
Megan Racing Front Anti-Bump Steer Kit

Mugen Front Compliance Bush Set (Camber)
Mugen Front Lower arm bush set (Castor)

Old 06-13-2013, 10:56 AM

Three minor modifications carried out last week, but they've proven to be quite significant in terms of enjoying the car

Firstly, anyone who's driven a S2000 will know you sit far too high, even as a short ass, it annoyed me right from the start. I was lucky enough to buy a used Back Yard Special (BYS) lowered seat rail. This lowers the seat by 20mm. Ideally i'd like another 10-20mm, but it's still a big improvement. I put some washers between front rail bolt and floor to give a little more thigh support.

A few people mentioned that the seat doesn't slide as freely forwards and backwards with these rails, so I made sure the electrical connector was zip tied well out the way. Seems absolutely fine, just a little stiffer than before!

Whilst I had the seat apart, I swapped the passenger seat base to the drivers side. This has made a huge improvement to the side support since the cushion is relatively fresh. I guess over the years with owners getting in and out the side bolster has become worn and collapsed a little.

Rather than just refit the drivers side onto the passenger frame, I followed an online guide for a DIY repair using a halfords sponge and duck tape. It's definitely given it more structure, but the leather is still creased so will keep am eye out for a new base.

Lastly, the S2000 developed a fault, or rather an annoyance, the first item needing replaced since buying the car over a year ago. The catalytic converter developed a rattle, so perfect excuse for an upgrade I went for a Berk High Flow Cat. It's definitely changed the tone of the exhaust, now louder and dare I say it raspier, but that sounds negative, it really does sound great. Coming down from bigger engines I was always concerned how the 4 cyl would sound, but with the other mods I'd say it's as good as any 4 cyl engine will\can sound. It's no longer just an ordinary 4 cyl outside the VTEC zone, much more character now.

* not my picture, I was too excited to hear what it would sound like I forgot to take a picture

I thought I'd mention this as a few potential buyers ask if you can fit a bike rack, the answer is yes! Some clear vinyl on the paint where the pads meet to stop any scratching works a treat. Driving to biking locations usually means driving some cracking roads, so it's a win win really

Old 06-13-2013, 10:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lovely looking car!

Which bike rack is that? I need to get one for my s2000.. Have not seen this one before, just the Saris Bones & custom tow bar ones.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Doyal
Which bike rack is that? I need to get one for my s2000.. Have not seen this one before, just the Saris Bones & custom tow bar ones.
I've got this one. I used it on my Z4 too. Only modification is I cut down the tube so it only takes one bike.

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/prod...3-bike-carrier
Old 06-14-2013, 02:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great stuff you have done to your car I have to say that rear boot spoiler makes that much differents to the look of the S2K love it!
Old 06-14-2013, 02:05 PM

May I ask where you got the gear knob please.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Hockenheim
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Ho...item3cd24201f4

This isn't the actual buyer, but lots of them on ebay.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by SCZ4
Originally Posted by Hockenheim' timestamp='1371247558' post='22609416
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Ho...item3cd24201f4

This isn't the actual buyer, but lots of them on ebay.
Thank you for that. Do you know if it is the titanium version or the aluminium one?
Old 03-18-2017, 12:42 PM

Some of you may have noticed, but I'm back in the same S2000 after an enjoyable time in a Z4M roadster. The fact I bought it back says it all, whilst it's far from the fastest car I've owned, it’s definitely the most fun and addictive!

So three and a bit years on, my old neighbour was sick of me badgering him to sell the S2000 back and he finally caved. Unfortunately, I had to pay £1500 more for the privilege since prices have been on the rise, but still a relative bargain and I made good money on the Z4M to offset it. On the plus side, he'd only put 4k miles on it in 3 years, always garaged and kept the full service history going. I bought it back in Oct\Nov with 49k on Nov, now on 51k.

Condition wise, it's still really good, although the front bumper has obviously had quite a few parking incidents. I'll give it a fresh detail in the spring too to brighten up the paint work again.

So since getting it back I've bought\installed the following:

- Cusco Rear Lower Brace (Best £85 I've ever spent in my life)
- BYS lowered seat rails (stupidly sold them in 2013. Must do mod even for a short arse like me!!)
- Tegiwa brake master cylinder brace
- Fresh set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4's (awesome grip, even at this time of year)
- Spoon Front X Brace
- Tegiwa 15mm wheel spacers front and rear (stance always annoyed me)
- Armrest re-covered by RobinA3 in black leather and red stitching (to match the wheel and gear gaiter)
- Retrofitted heated seats
- New K&N (again, sold mine in 2013)
- Pioneer DEH-X9600BT head unit
- Alpine SPG-17CS front speakers with spacers and sound proofing
- Alpine SPG-13C2 rear speakers fitted
- OEM weighted gear knob from DC5
- OEM black wheel bolts
- Elastic straps for the roof (simple fix for roof not fully retracting in the cold)

The car now handles and sounds exactly how I want it. Can't think what I'd do next to be honest!

In terms of maintenance, I wanted to repair the rear number plate holder, which had always been loose since I bought it back in 2011. When I removed the rear bumper it was clear there was a corrosion issue, so I got to work. Crash bar was beyond a DIY job, so I had it professionally blasted and powder coated. Whilst I had the diff out (a long story) I took the opportunity to protect the entire rear end, looks really fresh underneath now and will be less of a worry using it over the winter months.

What's next:
- Service and MOT in May
- Home detail
- Give dent devils a call for a small dink in the front wing
- OEM Shadow chrome front and rear H badges
- Cosmetic front end refresh, including
- New front bumper from Honda or respray
- Cooling Plate
- New Radiator mounts
- Zunsport Mesh
- New Radiator
- Rocket Cover Powder Coat