UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Supercharger Flutter

Old 01-16-2017, 12:55 PM
UK Trader

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr-T
Si,
Any update from HKS?

Originally Posted by CynicG
Presumably if the valve was not up to the job, then all of us would have the same flutter wouldn't we? I've not been able to change my hoses yet, or even drive the car, to assess the flutter (I think it was only top end not entire band).

I'd like to hear something from HKS on the topic.

Edit: by the way that sounded dismissive of the advice given on this thread, which wasn't intended!

I'll chase HKS in the morning Sorry - been away from the forums a bit lately - must try harder!!
Old 01-16-2017, 04:17 PM

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

Haven't read all the thread but I've seen a whole lot of dead chargers from people getting flutter because their dump valves weren't sized properly on a blow through charger.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:44 AM
UK Trader

Just spoken to HKS Europe - they are re-reading through all the latest comments on this thread - and forwarding all new infomation over to Japan for more info and a conclusion. They will repsond on here as soon as they get a reply.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:15 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Hopefully HKS can give us an update on this. been a while since they were originally exposed to this thread.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:05 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Indeed, sure they must have some idea of the issue and can give some feedback!
Old 01-19-2017, 01:44 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

well if their reply to the belt problems is anything to go by... basically saying it is fine, when it clearly is not...

People being sent different belts, belts being too long, belts being too short, manual stating a replacement belt that does not fit the system etc...

I understand a belt is a consumable item...

But <1month slipping was apparent is not very good. IMO the ones that were sent the wrong belts me and johnkeen and anyone else should atleast be sent out a brand new correct one.

Last edited by Define198; 01-19-2017 at 01:47 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:55 AM
UK Trader

I just had a long chat with HKS about the noises - and sent over an email with Steven and Johns videos.

During the conversation as couple of points were raised. Some of the noise could be coming back via the intake, this is normal. However some more questions have been asked.

1. Did the noise happen from the offset of the installation of the kit? Has it got steadily worse etc?

2. To do a visual check of the diaphragm on the relief valve - for any splits/damage which could be causing the excessive noise? Its only 2 bolts to remove to check, also double check the gasket at the same time.

The email I sent to HKS is below FYI - this has been sent to an HKS Japan engineer to re-asses for feedback once again. The Europe guys are based in Huntingdon BTW (01480 431604 - both Shaz and Masaya are aware of your concerns and are looking into solutions).

>>>>>

This is the video from the customer who is concerned on the noise.

https://youtu.be/27yXzLo6qL4

Another customer who is not having the same noise.

https://goo.gl/photos/n7mi696p6zRYErzf9

Both are running the standard kit as far as I am aware.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:59 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

1) Yes my noise has been their from the offset, and has not got any worse - Presumed normal since i saw a s2000 time attack car make exactly the same noise in a video.
2) i have not removed the bov to check it, will do it this weekend.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:03 AM
UK Trader

Originally Posted by Define198
1) Yes my noise has been their from the offset, and has not got any worse - Presumed normal since i saw a s2000 time attack car make exactly the same noise in a video.
2) i have not removed the bov to check it, will do it this weekend.
Thanks Dean - I'll let them know
Old 01-19-2017, 03:00 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Si@Hendy Performance

1. Did the noise happen from the offset of the installation of the kit? Has it got steadily worse etc?

2. To do a visual check of the diaphragm on the relief valve - for any splits/damage which could be causing the excessive noise? Its only 2 bolts to remove to check, also double check the gasket at the same time.
Same for me.
1. yes it has always been there and no it has not got any worse. I have now replaced the vacuum hose from Blow off valve to inlet manifold and it has made no difference at all.
2. I plan to remove the dump valve this weekend and i will take photos and upload to show the condition of the diaphragm and gasket.

Si could you confirm the spring is directional? does it matter which way it is installed? the description in the manual doesn't say anything.

Last edited by har-vey; 01-19-2017 at 03:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Supercharger Flutter