UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

UK exhaust mod butterfly valve mod..?

Old 03-16-2017, 10:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default UK exhaust mod butterfly valve mod..?

Just looking to see if anyone has added a butterfly valve to their UK mod, or has any thoughts on the matter??

I'm thinking of adding a valve mainly because my car usually sits at about 3000rpm when driving, and annoyingly this is the exact time the mod starts to kick in, which is a bit annoying on a long drive etc.

So, as a remedy I though it would be pretty awesome to add a custom butterfly valve to the section of bypass piping on the uk mod?

And thoughts, recommendations, will it/wont it work... etc. etc.

In addition, I think it would be really cool to have some sort of bowden cable (as with throttle cable/pushbike brake) routed into the cabin, so I could change the effective size of the bypass pipe on the fly. See a tunnel coming up? Open it up, then close it for a quiet drive to the shops and the like...

What do you guys think?
Old 03-16-2017, 11:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you could somehow cram a valve in there then I don't see why not. I think BMWs use the Pierburg vacuum actuated valves (not cheap) on their cars for the exact purpose. Apex'i makes an manual one in various diameter with the bowden cable and they are pretty decent in terms of sealing.

The only issue I can think of is the space needed to get the valve welded. Please post a sound clip if you do go through with it.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I suppose space could definitely be an issue, but it I'm fairly sure there's enough length in the tube for the valve, given the tube is definitely longer than the diameter. I'll have to have a look this weekend...

Would you look at that! THIS is exactly the sort'a thing I'm I'm thinking of making, cheers!!
Old 03-16-2017, 07:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by grantwestgarth
Yeah, I suppose space could definitely be an issue, but it I'm fairly sure there's enough length in the tube for the valve, given the tube is definitely longer than the diameter. I'll have to have a look this weekend...

Would you look at that! THIS is exactly the sort'a thing I'm I'm thinking of making, cheers!!
Nice! I've never seen one failed. KISS, can't mess that up.