Vancouver BC S2000 Owners Meet fellow owners in the Canadian province of British Columbia.

registering US car

Old 08-13-2012, 05:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default registering US car

Any other stories out there about dealing with these idiots? Unfortunately it's mandatory that we have to.

Got the Form 1 from RIV, took my US car to Canadian Tire for inspection, failed because of the aftermarket exhaust and suspension. Actually, they didn't even do a "formal" inspection, just looked at it and said no. Quite rude about it, actually. Went home and re-read the RIV website, and I guess I didn't fully understand their idea about modifications. They really mean NO modifications allowed. Has to be completely stock, which doesn't make sense to me since I've had friends import and register cars that are not "Canadian spec" (ie: JDM cars).

Now, the RIV has sent me an email saying that Honda Canada has to formally write a letter stating that my car has been returned to Canadian spec before they will give me another form 1 to take to Canadian Tire for a federal inspection to approve that it meets federal standards. !?! And the RIV guy was being a total douche, saying that he has the authority to immediately issue a "destroy or export" notice. and I seriously was not giving the person attitude...not sure where this is all coming from. I understand from previous border experiences that being nice will get your further than attitude.

Here's the kicker: ICBC will only issue a temporary licence to drive down to Canadian Tire for the federal inspection. They will NOT issue the temp to drive down to a local Honda dealer to get it confirmed that it is Canadian spec. So I'm expected to have it towed to the local dealer (assuming a letter from them is sufficient, and not having to get an actual letter from Honda Canada) -- otherwise I would have to ship to Honda Canada headquarters in _____, Ontario, have it inspected, shipped back, and then take to Canadian Tire???)

Has anyone heard of or experienced something like this??? If so, how did you handle it?
Old 08-13-2012, 06:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Total bull! When I imported the car had an Invidia exhaust, very loud, plus k and n intake. There were no isssues.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:24 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Wow! Never heard of anything like that before!
Old 08-14-2012, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BS, first ive heard of this, is the car a salvage? im confused as you said Canadian Tire never formally inspected it so you should be able to just take it somewhere else.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:37 PM

Sorry to hear about your problems. When I imported my S, I had zero issues such as yours and everyone I dealt with at RIV and the border was quite nice and the S I brought up was nowhere near stock.

I never had to get a letter from Honda Canada regarding anything. When I originally brought it up, all I had to do was the appropriate paperwork and get a letter from Honda USA saying that it has no outstanding recalls. Then I got it inspected and eventually insured. I don't know if they've tightened up regulations or what, but you could always try and talk to a canadian tire mechanic and see if they'll be willing to help you out for a couple bucks and just say everything is good.

*edit*
Just decided to check out the RIV site again after your post and saw that whole thing about suspension kits and body kits not being allowed when you import. I definitely don't remember that when I imported cause I had coils, rims, exhaust and supercharger on there when I imported mine. I never even would've tried if I saw that before.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:35 PM

I see that info there NOW, and I swear that 1 month ago it was not, or I would have been more selective about which S I bought and brought up from the US. Everything about this is frustrating. Especially the part about getting a letter from Honda stating that it is OEM spec. Yes, a letter was required from Honda USA (or at least a dealer) stating that there are no outstanding recalls. That was done BEFORE purchasing. All the border stuff was easy.

The car is NOT salvage, no decs or liens on it. When I say CT didn't formally inspect it, I mean they didn't actually bring it into the shop, open the doors/hood, put it on a lift....nothing. The guy eyeballed it through the window and literally from 50 yards away, said, "nope, not going to pass. I can see it's got an exhaust and has been lowered". When I questioned him on his response, and pointed out the "Form 1" that the RIV gave me -- which is just a tick box of stuff regarding daytime running lights, child restraints, french safety stickers if airbag is serviceable (n/a in this case), but nowhere on the form does it indicate anything about being OEM spec, etc. He was all pissed and snatched the form from me and said "I'll call RIV to confirm". Comes back in about 10 minutes and says "Nope, fail". Exactly like that. With snot attitude. So, it was with that phone call that he "alerted" the RIV that my car had aftermarket suspension and exhaust, and they must have flagged my file.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:05 PM

So after my last email to them questioning why I am being prejudicially singled out to have to return to the Honda dealer to have it inspected, in order to have it inspected again by Canadian Tire, they finally agreed to issue a new form 1 and just let me go to Canadian Tire. I guess someone with half a brain finally looked at this and agreed it was stupid to have an inspection done twice.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:49 AM

Well done. Best of luck.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:48 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ouch that sucks. My memory is a little hazy, but doesn't an out of province car require provincial inspection as well? If so, having a "lowered" car with aftermarket exhaust could definitely fail the provincial inspection.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:57 AM

The car can be lowered, but the lowest part of the car -- whether it's the exhaust, bumper, whatever -- can't be lower than the lower edge of the rim. Basically, if you get a flat, the car should still be able to roll.