Vancouver Island Vancouver Island S2000 Enthusiasts

Soft top rattles

Old 03-26-2013, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft top rattles

Does anyone else have what seems to be an excessive rattle in their soft top? I was a tech at Honda before I moved here and performed the TSB for the latches on my car, which did not change the noise. It is only over bumps but it seems to be pretty loud (squeak and rattle noise). I don't have much to compare to since I have only ever drove my 03 and an 06 down the road (lots others around the lot that's it). Top is tight (not loose or saggy) and in mint condition, and I have lubed all pivoting points. I just can't seem to find where it's coming from or what is causing it.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:35 AM

Probably not the squeaking but the rattling could be the plastic on the sides of the latches. For some reason they made them loose. There is a guide to putting stuff between the plastic and the metal on the latches, looks dead easy though I haven't done it yet. It only bothers me on rougher roads. When you are driving if you put your hand on them you can stop them from moving/rattling and see.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Retorque the latches screws and superglue them.

Sent from my Defy using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-27-2013, 08:29 PM

not really sure.. i have an 08 and no signs of rattling yet. maybe it comes with age?
Old 03-27-2013, 08:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Might pop off the A and B pillar plastic trim so you can access the screws for the strikers. If they're loose, take the screws out, use red lock-tite (not blue) on them, and put them back in.
This is a more common issue with people who have a hard top installed, but it's still worth checking out and will only take you ten-fifteen minutes total.

I recently was experience a lot of squeaking and rattling, noticed it had gotten progressively worse since I had installed my hardtop. I checked the screws for the strikers (I have the ones made for the OEM hardtop installed) and noticed one of them had completely backed out. I tightened all of them up (two per side) and went for a drive, and my car was silent again

There's a write up on here somewhere with pictures, showing you exactly what to do. I didn't use lock-tite when I put my screws back in and it's squeaking/rattling again so I'll have to use some lock-tite this time.

Like I said earlier, this is a more common problem if you have a hardtop installed, but it's still worth checking out as it only takes ten-fifteen minutes.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by jamesrdoe
Probably not the squeaking but the rattling could be the plastic on the sides of the latches. For some reason they made them loose. There is a guide to putting stuff between the plastic and the metal on the latches, looks dead easy though I haven't done it yet. It only bothers me on rougher roads. When you are driving if you put your hand on them you can stop them from moving/rattling and see.
Thanks for the reply. I did do this to mine and unfortunately it did not help it (Honda has a bulliten to do this). Thanks for the help

Originally Posted by crisskro
Retorque the latches screws and superglue them.

Sent from my Defy using Tapatalk 2
Originally Posted by Kenshyn
Might pop off the A and B pillar plastic trim so you can access the screws for the strikers. If they're loose, take the screws out, use red lock-tite (not blue) on them, and put them back in.
This is a more common issue with people who have a hard top installed, but it's still worth checking out and will only take you ten-fifteen minutes total.

I recently was experience a lot of squeaking and rattling, noticed it had gotten progressively worse since I had installed my hardtop. I checked the screws for the strikers (I have the ones made for the OEM hardtop installed) and noticed one of them had completely backed out. I tightened all of them up (two per side) and went for a drive, and my car was silent again

There's a write up on here somewhere with pictures, showing you exactly what to do. I didn't use lock-tite when I put my screws back in and it's squeaking/rattling again so I'll have to use some lock-tite this time.

Like I said earlier, this is a more common problem if you have a hardtop installed, but it's still worth checking out as it only takes ten-fifteen minutes.

I haven't checked the latch screws yet, thanks to both of you. I will check them and see how they are for torque!

Just to throw another curve ball in this; I insured the car and drove it today for the first time since last September and the top is dead silent. Apparently I was a little premature with this thread just assuming the noise would still be there, but I have a good start where to check if it comes back. Thanks for the help!