Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you powder coated your forged wheels?

Old 03-17-2017, 09:21 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Correct, I like the satin finish of the Ti Silver and the way the color brightens a Silverstone car. The satin finish is not as easy to clean as a gloss coat, so I definitely wouldn't recommend it for a track car or daily driver because of brake dust.

Sebring is different, it really just comes down to which looks best to you. Try a google image search for "sebring S2000 CE28" to see a bunch of color options.

Last edited by s2ka; 03-17-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wait. Who has powder coated a set of forged wheels and tracked their car with them on? I hear stories about people having their wheels crack while at the track. I too find myself in the situation where I want to change the color of my CE28's but don't want to run the risk of wheel failure. Especially since my CE's are going to be my dedicated track wheel with occasional DD usage.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:14 PM

I've seen info from Rays/Volk that most of their wheels are powdercoated from the factory. A few are anodized, like bronze.

Here's an article from Super Street on how they're made. How a Volk Racing TE37 Is Made - Super Street Magazine

There's debate about it, so why take any risk refinishing them if they're for track duty?

Old 03-17-2017, 06:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by s2ka
I've seen info from Rays/Volk that most of their wheels are powdercoated from the factory. A few are anodized, like bronze.

Here's an article from Super Street on how they're made. How a Volk Racing TE37 Is Made - Super Street Magazine

There's debate about it, so why take any risk refinishing them if they're for track duty?

Because I don't like the gunmetal wheels with NFR body combo. But I got a good deal on the CE's so I couldnt pass them up. I'm sure they will grow on me once I mount them on the car. I suppose it works out for track wheels since brake dust wont be as visible on gunmetal. Still, I really had my heart set out for silver CE's.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:10 PM

The safest way would be to have them professionally painted instead of powdercoated. Cost is about the same, ~$100 per wheel.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:36 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

#1 - I'm not tracking this car at all. #2 - I have read everything I can find about this question of PC and forged wheels and I honestly don't buy it. Regardless, because of #1, I am going to have these wheels powder coated. My questions have to do with what color and finish to use, not whether to powder coat or spray paint.

I have spent a lot of time searching and looking at pictures of sebring cars with different wheel colors. Again, I am leaning toward mercury silver, or something close, for my Sebring car. I wish I could find someone who has used PC to match mercury silver. I am going to have to take a guess, look at samples etc. I think I can match that wheel I posted above and so that is what I will probably end up doing. Thanks for all the imput. We shall see!
Old 03-18-2017, 03:02 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I have had my forged marchesini, motorcycle wheels powdercoated. I also regularly track my bike and have intentionally smacked the curb with them before. No bends or damage. The powdercoat has chipped from having tires mounted, however. You should also take into consideration that the powdercoat will add ~1lb to the wheels' weight. In retrospect, I wish I had them painted instead. I hope that helps you with your decision.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:55 PM

On the Prismatic web site it shows Super Chrome looking almost like chrome in some pics.

http://​​​​​​​https://www.youtube.co...?v=8NFF84Eklnc
Old 03-22-2017, 05:24 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dv55xc
Wait. Who has powder coated a set of forged wheels and tracked their car with them on? I hear stories about people having their wheels crack while at the track. I too find myself in the situation where I want to change the color of my CE28's but don't want to run the risk of wheel failure. Especially since my CE's are going to be my dedicated track wheel with occasional DD usage.
typically powdercoating after a heat treatment will slightly anneal the aluminum and reduce its fatigue life for a given stress variation.

Just because a factory powdercoats wheels with a specific heating and cooling cycle, doesn't mean Joe Blow Powdercoater down the street can powdercoat some wheels without adverse effects. Generally anything over 350 F will affect a heat treatment, and most powdercoatinf is done at 400-450 F.

The theory matches up with the increase in failure rate after powdercoating with a short heat soak time at elevated temps.

Keep in mind we're talking about a failure occurring tens or hundreds of thousand loading cycles after powdercoating. It's not immediate, but it's a ticking time bomb...
Old 03-23-2017, 02:49 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by DefSport
typically powdercoating after a heat treatment will slightly anneal the aluminum and reduce its fatigue life for a given stress variation.

Just because a factory powdercoats wheels with a specific heating and cooling cycle, doesn't mean Joe Blow Powdercoater down the street can powdercoat some wheels without adverse effects. Generally anything over 350 F will affect a heat treatment, and most powdercoatinf is done at 400-450 F.
The theory matches up with the increase in failure rate after powdercoating with a short heat soak time at elevated temps.

Keep in mind we're talking about a failure occurring tens or hundreds of thousand loading cycles after powdercoating. It's not immediate, but it's a ticking time bomb...
I would find this much more credible if there was some actual data supporting a causal connection between powder coating and wheel failure. Is there any data out there?

Quick Reply: Have you powder coated your forged wheels?