Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires: Sumitomo HTR Z III

Old 08-08-2012, 10:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tires: Sumitomo HTR Z III

they scored very well on tirerack compared to some good tires. not to mention they are super cheap.

anyone have experience on the s2k with them?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=149
Old 08-08-2012, 10:22 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Me, McWheel, Foulone, Conedodger, Mark355... many others.

Great tires. I'm a repeat customer as they wear long and have great traction. Not as good in rain as some others, not as sticky in the warm as others, but you can get 4 great tires for around 450.
They've been described as the affordable supercar tire on a number of sites.
Enjoy.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:11 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Had them and haven't had any issues.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have them on now. I can't wait to get rid of them.

I used them on a Autocross event and 2 track days at Watkins and Summit.

I hate them.

They are good for streets as I don't push my car at all and they have great durability for wear.
However, they are like being on ice whenever ther roads are wet.

When I was at Watkins Glen track, it rained hard. i was all over the place! no grip what so ever especially on a S2000 since our cars are very light.

At Summit Point, it was dry so they were ok, but they had no traction once they got hot on the track, and they get hot very fast which leads to no traction, very fast.

To put it simply, think of these as cheap pencil eraser that just smudges your pencil lines while sliding across the paper. I drove my friend's car with Hankook Ventus and they felt like those professional erasers that are soft and erases pencil lines as soon as it touches the pencil mark. don't know if this explains...
Old 08-08-2012, 11:54 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

I've had two sets - I think they are great in the dry at least, not as much in the rain, but who is pushing their car in the rain?

Star Specs are the hyped tire these days - I may try them next time I need a set.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:13 PM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
I've had two sets - I think they are great in the dry at least, not as much in the rain, but who is pushing their car in the rain?

Star Specs are the hyped tire these days - I may try them next time I need a set.
I'm thinking about replacing my set of STar Specs with another set of the same...however that tire just finished second to last in the performance tire comparison test that Car & Driver did this past month Makes me wonder, given that the tire is starting to show it's technological age (came out 3+ years ago I believe?)
Old 08-08-2012, 12:27 PM

I have a pair now. I really like them. I have had no issues pushing them in the dry on the street and I have felt quite safe with them in the wet (as opposed to the BF Goodrich g-Force Sports I had on previously). For the money, a great tire when you consider it's purpose. I do think they need to be revamped to keep up with the newer tires though. But for the price and for daily use with a little bit of pushing, you won't get a better bang for your buck. I do believe they are not for track or autocross in any way though. So far they have been on the car for about 8k miles and still have plenty of tread left - I expect them to go at least 18k miles.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:57 PM

thank you guys

termigni, so do you completely disagree with tirerack's assessment?

what do you guys think are the BEST cheap tire these days for spirited non-track driving? im on the hankook v12 and they are ok, not that great. tirerack ranked the sumitomos over the hankook which made me want to try em
Old 08-08-2012, 01:28 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Originally Posted by Saki GT' timestamp='1344455663' post='21922573

I'm thinking about replacing my set of STar Specs with another set of the same...however that tire just finished second to last in the performance tire comparison test that Car & Driver did this past month Makes me wonder, given that the tire is starting to show it's technological age (came out 3+ years ago I believe?)

Look at the price points of the other tires in the comparo...

I might try the S-04s if there was a good discount on them when I was looking to buy. People also seem to like the Continental DWs.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:56 PM

can someone link the C&D comparo

Quick Reply: Tires: Sumitomo HTR Z III