Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires: Sumitomo HTR Z III

Old 08-08-2012, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a set not to long ago. I like them. At first I wasn't a fan but after about 500 miles they felt alot better. Wear seems non existent.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:34 PM

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Got these like a month ago. Theyre the first new tires I got for the car so I cant really compare them to others. So far im pretty satisfied with them. For daily driving they are perfect, they dont wear and have decent grip. I havent had any problems in rain but I havent driven in a storm yet, just when it was drizzling. I took them to 2 autocrosses and they are decent, but I do honestly wish they had more grip. Ill see how long they last but for the price they seem to be pretty good so far.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had 4 sets of these for street/mountain driving. I don't push them to the limit on the streets, but I don't think you can beat them in the good value department.

There are better track tires but I love them for street use. Large amounts of treadwear compared to Star Specs or RS3s. Best bang for the $$ IMO.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:33 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I've had 2 sets as they are great bang for your buck. I haven't had issues with them in the rain but I don't push my car in the rain. I like them but I might try something else next time around.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If people track or autocross their car, there is no reason to not go for an extreme level tire (star specs, rs3, etc). For daily driving, the max perf level tires are fine (like HTR zIII)
Old 08-08-2012, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by dyhppy
thank you guys

termigni, so do you completely disagree with tirerack's assessment?

what do you guys think are the BEST cheap tire these days for spirited non-track driving? im on the hankook v12 and they are ok, not that great. tirerack ranked the sumitomos over the hankook which made me want to try em
Like I said, for non-track, Sumitomo does just fine. the wear is non-existent as stated by other members below. but it's just those 1 or 2 times in a year when i go to track, I miss a lot more grip, when pushed hard constantly.

Originally Posted by Danwolski
I took them to 2 autocrosses and they are decent, but I do honestly wish they had more grip. Ill see how long they last but for the price they seem to be pretty good so far.

Originally Posted by raikouS2K
I have had 4 sets of these for street/mountain driving. I don't push them to the limit on the streets, but I don't think you can beat them in the good value department.

There are better track tires but I love them for street use. Large amounts of treadwear compared to Star Specs or RS3s. Best bang for the $$ IMO.

Originally Posted by S2k007
If people track or autocross their car, there is no reason to not go for an extreme level tire (star specs, rs3, etc). For daily driving, the max perf level tires are fine (like HTR zIII)
Old 08-09-2012, 07:55 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k' timestamp='1344456810' post='21922631
[quote name='Saki GT' timestamp='1344455663' post='21922573']
I've had two sets - I think they are great in the dry at least, not as much in the rain, but who is pushing their car in the rain?

Star Specs are the hyped tire these days - I may try them next time I need a set.
I'm thinking about replacing my set of STar Specs with another set of the same...however that tire just finished second to last in the performance tire comparison test that Car & Driver did this past month Makes me wonder, given that the tire is starting to show it's technological age (came out 3+ years ago I believe?)

Look at the price points of the other tires in the comparo...

I might try the S-04s if there was a good discount on them when I was looking to buy. People also seem to like the Continental DWs.
[/quote]

Valid argument about the price point, however in C&D's last tire comparo the Dunlop finished 2nd (though I believe they had "some" price cap). As to the Bridgestone S-04s on Tirerack they are only $60 more expensive than the Dunlops. Close enough to at least think about.

Here you go dyhappy!

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test
Old 08-09-2012, 12:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think they are great in the rain, I can get on it pretty good and not loose traction. Dry grip is great for the price. Wear seems amazing, I beat on them non stop and seem to keep going.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:21 PM

I have a set of these in stock AP2 sizes. Zero complaints at this point. Almost zero road noise, which is great. Dry grip seems good, but I don't really push my car during my normal driving. I have driven in the wet without issue. I got them with the rebate which made them dirt cheap. I would buy them again.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:16 AM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
I've had two sets - I think they are great in the dry at least, not as much in the rain, but who is pushing their car in the rain?

Star Specs are the hyped tire these days - I may try them next time I need a set.
Highly recommend the Star Spec...

Quick Reply: Tires: Sumitomo HTR Z III