Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS... What are my options

Old 11-21-2012, 09:07 PM
Community Organizer

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Ok, sorry for the wait, but its hard writing everything from a phone. Some of the information about the TPMS is correct and some is in-correct. Let me straighten it all out right here, right now.
  • The pipe-bomb trick doesnt work on our cars because the Honda TPMS system is a rolling system, so the TPMS sensors have to be motion for it to work.
  • The ECU does NOT disable VSA if your TPMS light is on.

OEM TPMS Sensors
I have CE28's with brand new honda OEM sensors. The Honda OEM sensors will work with CE28's and a few other volk wheels like the CE30's. Now what ungucpho said is some what true, but just because the wheels are 1 piece doesnt mean that Honda OEM sensors will work with them. It depends on the wheel and the size of the hole for the value stem. Another thing you have to know is that the OEM sensors for our wheels are meant to work with our stock wheels so the sensors seats right on the rim. When you put aftermarket wheels, it wont really seat right on the rim. It may seat at any angle like my TPMS sensors in my CE28's.

FISH22 - The OEM sensors go right into the CE28's with no issues like ungucpho said.

Programing
Your stock wheels with the TPMS sensors are registered to your ECU so when you add new Honda OEM sensors they have to get registered to your ECU and the ones for the stock wheels get removed from your ECU. Now some people have taken out the sensors from there stock wheels and then put them in there aftermarket wheels. Now this sounds quick and easy, but it's not because you have to make sure that if you take a TPMS sensor from your stock left wheel, you have to put it back in your left aftermarket wheel. You also have to put in a new valve core, grommet, and a few seals. I think tire rack sells it as a replacement kit.

You dont need to go to Honda to get it done, but you can't do it yourself unless you have the TPMS tool that programs the sensors. Make sure you get the code for the OEM sensors so if you get the ATEQ Quickset you can swtich between your stock wheels and aftermarket wheels. Thats what I am going to be doing, I have my stock wheels and aftermarket wheels with TPMS sensors in them. Once I program the quicket, Ill take pics on how I did it and share with everyone.

If there are any other questions, please let me know.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:59 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Awesome info, thanks!

Seems like a lot of work for a stupid light, if that's really all it is. If the TPMS light does not affect anything else, I might just deal with it. Although, I'm not a fan of lights on the dash.

The wheels are GC07Cs, so I'll give the sensors a shot on them.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice keep us update Fish. when are your prodrives coming in?
Old 11-22-2012, 08:19 AM

They get in next week, but I'll have to do some tire shopping first. Plus, I'm still debating if I want to get them powdercoated white right off the bat.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh true, nice. what is their original color
Old 11-22-2012, 10:48 AM

They are British Black. Only reason I'm hesitant to refinish. It's such a nice color.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:22 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Leave them as is! FWIW,some people say the powder coating process can weaken a wheel.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:11 PM

Received 559 Likes on 391 Posts

Find the person that you sold your last S2K to and trade him???
Old 11-23-2012, 05:57 AM
Community Organizer

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by FISH22
Awesome info, thanks!

Seems like a lot of work for a stupid light, if that's really all it is. If the TPMS light does not affect anything else, I might just deal with it. Although, I'm not a fan of lights on the dash.

The wheels are GC07Cs, so I'll give the sensors a shot on them.
I dont like lights on my dash either, but I am here in New York and if the TPMS light is on. They will not pass you for inspection. Even if I was to take the blub out from the dash, The ECU still throws the code for it. I am not sure what the rules are where you are from, but keep this in mind.

It does not affect anything, before putting on my rims, I had a bad sensor in my stock wheels so I was driving around with the light on. I turned VSA on and off like nothing. Car drove the same, no issues.

No choose of wheels, do they still sell those wheels brand new? Are those Forged or cast iron wheels? I did hear about powder coating wheels can weaken the wheel, but I believe that was with the stock one. But I think it depends who does the work. Any how, leave it the black that it comes in, it looks sick.

There is also this company for sensors, they came out with one for the s2000 now. But you have to check with them to see if they will work with the pro-drives.

VDO
Old 11-23-2012, 06:10 AM

Yeah, I don't think my car would pass inspection down here with the TPMS light on. I might just hold onto my OEM wheels and throw them back on when the time comes. If I were to drive around for a while with aftermarket wheels and no sensors and the TPMS light on, would the light reset once I put the original wheels back on?

The GC07C was discontinued about 5-6 years ago, very hard to come by nowadays.

Quick Reply: TPMS... What are my options