Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Volk ce28n refinishing

Old 02-01-2015, 08:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Volk ce28n refinishing

Question: I really have no idea about this kind of stuff so bear with me. I'm interested in buying some Volks which are matte black, one with a little rash, but my dream would be to have them in bronze. If I can get them for a good price I may pull the trigger. How difficult would it be to get them refinished in bronze? Anyone have any idea how expensive this would be --ballpark?

thx
Old 02-01-2015, 11:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in a similar situation.

I imported two half sets of CE28s to make a full set - one set is bronze, the other set is Mercury Silver. The prevailing opinion is that Volk Racing bronze is very difficult (impossible?) to match perfectly. Part of it is because the spokes are textured and the lip is glossy, the other because Rays formula is "special".

I live in Northern California and there's a well-known wheel refinishing and repair shop which quoted me approximately $200/per wheel, so $800 for the entire set.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:16 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Look up different powder coat companies. I have used prismatic powders and they will send you samples of different colors and they have a huge gallery of pics as well. I know there is a big debate on powder coating wheels and I don;t want to get into that just saying what I have used before and will use when I refinish my wheels.

http://www.prismaticpowders.com/
Old 02-02-2015, 08:50 AM

Received 158 Likes on 121 Posts

I'm going to be refinishing my CE28's in bronze as well, however I'm going to opt to have to whole rim be textured and not have a glossy lip. I'll post updates in my build thread when I get around to doing it.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:29 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

If they already have paint or powder coating on them you have very little chance of getting all of the paint off so they could be properly anodized.

It's very rare to find a company that does bronze anodizing.

You can't perfectly match the look of bronze anodizing with paint or powder coating.

Really the only way it could be done is to start with bronze anodized wheels and have them re-anodized.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck with trying to match the original Volk Racing bronze since the lips are anodized and the faces are painted. I've tried to replicate the color on several sets of TE37s. BMW Bronze Sepang A32 and Toyota Avensis Brown Mica 4Q9 were close but not exact matches. I have a set of 19s getting powdercoated Highland Bronze - I'll post pictures of them when I pick them up at the end of the week.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:11 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by .eric.
Good luck with trying to match the original Volk Racing bronze since the lips are anodized and the faces are painted. I've tried to replicate the color on several sets of TE37s. BMW Bronze Sepang A32 and Toyota Avensis Brown Mica 4Q9 were close but not exact matches. I have a set of 19s getting powdercoated Highland Bronze - I'll post pictures of them when I pick them up at the end of the week.
Actually the entire wheel is anodized bronze. The only difference is the surface of the spokes is rough and the lips are machined smooth.

Old 02-04-2015, 02:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by s2ka
Actually the entire wheel is anodized bronze. The only difference is the surface of the spokes is rough and the lips are machined smooth.

I stand corrected. I've been through so many sets of Volk Racing wheels that I got a bit confused. You're absolutely right.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:09 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Old thread but right on point so I'm posting here rather than start new thread.

I expect to have some used ce28s in my hands shortly. I am going to have them refinished and like the OP I know zero about this. If possible I would like to end up with an oem mercury silver or titanium silver finish. Maybe gunmetal. Is a good shop going to be able to get an oem type finish on these wheels? Right now they have a good condition powder coat finish.

Any input will be much appreciated.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bump - anything close to mercury silver?

Quick Reply: Volk ce28n refinishing